Options

Preferred order to study the 10 domains?

cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there a preferred order to study the 10 domains?

I am taking up studying for the CISSP and hope to take the exam in 6 months. I have 15 years working in IT and hold a CCSP (recerted twice), MCSE (legacy NT4), and ITILv3 Foundations cert. I’ve been directly working in Healthcare IT Security for the last 9 years.

I’ve found in the past that some certs/topic areas build on one another – so thought I’d ask if there was an ideal order in which to study the CISSP domains. Presently I have the Harris AIO kit (6th Ed.) to study with.

Thanks for any input.

-Calvin

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Personally I'd start with your stronger domains, before I jumped into less-familiar, possibly frustrating territory. It can be easy to feel like you've gotten in over your head, and get discouraged.

I am sure others have different opinions though, bottom line is do what you are comfortable with.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe this was already discussed here. Have a read: http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/35023-order-cbk-domain-importance-cissp-exam.html Some people like to start on familiar ground other don't but ultimately do what works best for you. Additionally, read all the "passed" threads here on the forum to give you some guidance. Good Luck
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree. No one size fits all. I also started with my strongest domains fearing getting frustrated and losing interest for the cert. Worked out pretty well.
  • Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have just started studying this and don't really have a preference to which order I study the domains.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's what i did also. Started with my stronger domains and spend more time on the weakest ones. It worked.
  • Options
    Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
    I knew from past experience preparing for tests that topics I studied at the beginning of my preparation schedule got a lot more attention then the topics at the end. Some of that is due to sub-optimal time budgeting and some is due to fatigue. So I made a conscious decision to take on the domains I figured would be the most challenging for me. So I started with cryptography, then BCP/DR, then access control.

I have a networking background so I'm putting Networking & Telecom last.

I think this is a matter of personal preference. If starting with topics you are strong in gives you a psychological boost that can help you take on more challenging topics, that's a valid approach as well.
  • Options
    michaelrapleymichaelrapley Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unless you're planning on taking the exam before 15.04.2015 I'd check with ISC2's website. The new syllabus contains only 8 domains.