vCenter Advanced Datacenter Design question

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
OK, everyone.

So with the help of many on the forum, figured out my Cisco lab issues and now I've finally isolated the Cisco lab from the outside world in two spots, one with a Deny ACL on the Procurve (so no traffic can ever leave the cisco lab) and lastly on the Sonicwall with a Deny Any just to be ****.

I've now gone to the testing stages of seeing if I can get packets to flow between two vlans on both's sides of the 3550 switches on each sides of the 2600's and it works fine with two Acer Mini laptops I use for console life....

Now my next goal is this, since I'm going for the MCSA this year and I'm going for the R&S, it seems only logical I try to mimic a production world as best I can in the sense of routing and um switching, duh! (right now the routes are static, I'm sure I'll learn the other routing protocols as I get more deeper into the R&S study and I'll play around with them then)... with that being said I'd like to know if it's possible with my current VMware cluster of two R610's and one vCenter Appliance to have two Datacenters residing on the same two hosts or would I need two more servers?

Basically I want to make two separate Windows forests each with 3 servers, 2 DC's and one standalone and one windows 7 box each on one vlan in each 3550 switch. Now the networking aspect is done, I understand that logically 100%, I know what needs to be done in terms of vnics on the hosts, the networking through and through I'd fine with. The Servers and domains I already have them made (the VM's are built) and I connected then to there own vswitch but with no uplink just to get them created and talking. What I want to know is if I can put each forest in there own datacenter in vcenter but have both datacenter use both of the dual R610's.

Hopefully you guys are following me here, assuming you guys follow me, is it possible with the current server farm or do I need two more servers?

Comments

• GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    Depending on CPUs and RAM you can do that with one host and one NIC, using VST (create two portgroups, each with its own VLAN) assuming you have VLANs and routing working on your physical switch.

W/o VLANs you need two NICs to do it right, tho you could always throw caution to the wind and run two broadcast domains on one wire. Makes DHCP more exciting.

With two hosts performance will be better, again one NIC per host with VST or two NICs with PST.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    GSXRules wrote: »
    Depending on CPUs and RAM you can do that with one host and one NIC, using VST (create two portgroups, each with its own VLAN) assuming you have VLANs and routing working on your physical switch.

W/o VLANs you need two NICs to do it right, tho you could always throw caution to the wind and run two broadcast domains on one wire. Makes DHCP more exciting.

With two hosts performance will be better, again one NIC per host with VST or two NICs with PST.

Well nic's I'm not worried about each R610 has 8 nic's total, currently 3 per server aren't being used.

But thanks, I'll give it a hack at, if it's possible that's all I wanted to know. I'll just tinker around till I figure it out...