Security+ BootCamp or Self Study

Midnite8Midnite8 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I want to obtain the Security+ but was wondering which is recommended, going to a 3-5 day BootCamp or just buying the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 by Darril Gibson. I am still a college student so I am in no hurry to get the certification yet.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My advice is to use the self-study method to gauge whether or not you need to go to a class. Buy the book, study until you can explain every concept in the book, then schedule the test. If you pass...great! You've just saved a couple of thousand dollars. If you fail, then you know that you might just need to take the class. Since, there is no guarantee which approach will work best for you, I recommend going the least expensive route first.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Self study all the way. Paying for a bootcamp is not giving you a good rate of return. If you were doing the CISSP for example, it would be worth it.
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Darril's SY0-301 book when I took the Sec+ in early 2014. I read the book all the way through and took every end of chapter test as I finished the respective chapter. Once done reading, I took all of the chapter tests again and then the practice exam included in the book. I then made flash cards for the questions/topics I got wrong. I did all of this in about a 2-3 week period and then took the exam. I believe I got a 840/900 or something along those lines.

The exam is pretty straight forward and Darril does a great job preparing you for the exam.

B
  • Midnite8Midnite8 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, great. I definitely will try out the $35 book first before dishing out $2k for a boot camp that has no guarantee. Just curious, what do I have to score to pass the exam?

On the pearsonvue website, where can I obtain a CompTIA so I can register to see where and when I can take the test?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Midnite8 wrote: »
    Ok, great. I definitely will try out the $35 book first before dishing out $2k for a boot camp that has no guarantee. Just curious, what do I have to score to pass the exam?

On the pearsonvue website, where can I obtain a CompTIA so I can register to see where and when I can take the test?

If you have a strong background, I'd suggest self-studying too. That book is really good. Sometimes the hardest part of CompTIA exams is reading the question correctly to understand what they really want you to answer.

750 out of a 900 which is around 83.3% but some questions are worth more. You can buy packages at the CompTIA Store but other sites like getcertified4less offer vouchers with good discounts.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • MordyITMordyIT Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    boot camps are a waste of time and money IMO it's better to spend the money on books and hardware.
    I used Glen E. Clarke's sy0-401 book which I found the best and the total tester exams it came with. Professor Messer's free youtube videos also are a quick review of what you read in the book.
    You will be hit with 7 simulations on the exam mostly on securing wireless, types of attacks, securing an office/data center, and ACLs.
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could fail that test 5 times and still save more than going to a bootcamp, use Darril Gibsons book like the other guy said. That book is the only thing you need for this test. Good luck.
    In pursuit of CCNA:SECURITY; CCNP; THEN MCSE
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Something else I forgot to mention is that Darril Gibson is member of this forum. If you check out his profile and previous posts, you will find a lot of good info and discussion on the security+.

http://www.techexams.net/members/darril.html

A