Passed CISSP last week - still stunned

dctgibsondctgibson Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
First time poster, long time lurker.....

Pleased to say that I passed the CISSP exam last week. I appreciate this forum and all the tips and advice available on it. My journey to CISSP began in 2011, but for various reasons (valid and otherwise) I did not schedule it then. Finally mustered up some confidence late last year and got it scheduled. Scheduling it was an incredible motivator...although, the desire to do better for my family and myself was the primary force behind my desire to get it done.

Study materials used:

1. Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Third Edition - this definitely helped me.
2. Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide (including 11th Hour Study Guide) - 11th Hour Study Guide helped solidify what I learned from the ISC CISSP CBK
3. Sunflower PDF
4. CBT Nuggets - I started out using this for some of the topics that I was not familiar with
5. Shon Harris Practice Exams - very good due to the amount of scenario-based questions (the amount of scenario-based questions was high and, as everyone has been saying, there always seemed to be two very similar answers)
6. McGraw-Hill Practice Exams - same as above, but not enough scenario-based questions

Exam:
Without a doubt, the most challenging exam I've ever taken. Questions I received covered nearly every topic evenly. The sheer amount of scenario-based questions is what made it difficult to me. For those types of questions that I did not know off the top of my head, I took a managerial approach ("What would be in the best interest of the business?", etc.) to narrow down my choices. My I.T. and managerial experience did help somewhat. I took a break once an hour during the five hours I was there. I really thought I failed, especially after the proctor turned the paper face down and slid it to me. But I noticed she had a smile on her face which I thought was strange as I'm thinking to myself "why is she smiling if I failed?"

When I turned the paper over and saw "Congratulations....", I nearly jumped through the roof. It took me some time to calm down while I was there. I got home, told my wife and she nearly jumped through the roof, too. Just over a week later and I'm still feeling good. Endorsement form has been submitted and I'm trying my best to be patient for six weeks. It's difficult, but I'm taking the time to learn more with OJT, etc..

Again, this forum was extremely helpful and I'm glad I joined....for those of you on the fence about taking the exam, schedule it, study, and get it done. The only way you're guaranteed to fail is if you never try.

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on passing...well done
  • bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Awesome job on the exam... congrats!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man, i feel the same way. I send my paperwork in too, but i thought it usually takes 2-3 weeks. Still not bad for 1 month. There is a whole package that they will send out to you so that's why it takes time.
  • rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on passing, welcome to the club :D
  • dctgibsondctgibson Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone....@TheFORCE, before the exam, I thought up to six weeks was no big deal, but after the exam, I'm like...six weeks seems forever. Just a few more tidbits...I did not see one question on the exam from all the practice questions I went through. I don't remember seeing a "definition" questions. As many have said, it's a "concept and application of theory" type exam. What I thought was interesting was a few scenario-based questions that had similar scenarios but sought different answers. They were literally back-to-back questions....maybe four sets.
  • utkarsh.ganorkarutkarsh.ganorkar Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation ...
  • jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done! It really is a challenging exam, which makes it all the more rewarding when you beat it icon_smile.gif
    Nearly 5 weeks and I'm still waiting...the wait is mentally draining. I've got a few things on hold (career-wise) until I receive the official notification that I'm certified.I try not to check my status everyday, but I can't help it. I know for a fact that I'm going to jump through the roof again once I get that email. Engine's on and ready for takeoff......for those of you that received the notification (completed the endorsement process), did you have the same feelings as the moment you found out you passed the exam?
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Received an email notification today that I am officially a CISSP....five weeks and three days later. So glad that process is complete.....now waiting for them to send the card and certificate.
  • reubs6reubs6 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!icon_cheers.gif
    Plans for 2017
    PMP-September