VCA-DCV - Worth the cost of the exam voucher?

-hype-hype Member Posts: 165
I signed up for one of the VCP online classes posted here. It begins in March. I was wondering if taking the VCA-DCV exam is worth it, as far as employers are concerned? Seems pretty easy - open book, online exam. Some of the videos were also very basic.

How have you guys' experience been with this exam?
WGU BS IT:Network Administration
Started: 10-1-13
Completed: 9-21-14
Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not worth the money. This may be a bit harsh, but very few people know about this and no one cares. Do the VCP instead.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    No, its not worth it because its an open book exam and doesn't hold any weight. Keep your focus on the VCP course and exam. Put that money you would be using on the VCA towards getting a subscription for VCP videos, especially if you have limited experience with vSphere/ESXi.
  • WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    Not much more than that you could take a VCP applicable class at one of the smaller colleges that might include the VCP voucher.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    if you were fresh into IT, like being a technical-facing salesmen of VMware I could say yes....

....however giving your current certification track you would do yourself a disservice to get it, it would be way more beneficial given your knowledge and experience to study for the VCP5-DCV.

......Honestly you'd learn more building a lab with all the bells and whistles required to make a legit ESXi cluster (roughly 1200 for a decent one, cost me $1800 for mine) and probably more fun going for the VCP5-DCV, you can study for the VCA-DCV honestly in like 3 hours though if you really want it...
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I only did it because it was free (at the time).

But I've said it before and I'll say it again...for those who don't know otherwise (aka HR), the VMware certs become an alphabet soup and the VCA-DCV can give the impression of a VMware background, now to what degree is up to the person reading the resume. BUT, if you have VMware experience but not the VCP, it can be beneficial IMO (if it was still free).
  • -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

On to the VCP it is, will knock out some CBT videos and save up for the lab.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU