RHCSA Passed

XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
I took the kiosk version for rhel6 last week and passed by a good margin. I wanted to take the test on 6 because that is what I studied on this year. I believe in January all the exams will be on rhel7.

The kiosk style exam felt awkward because of all the cameras, but overall I think it went well. The time flies by, and I left one question unanswered because I didn't want to risk making the system unbootable with only 15 minutes left on my time. I triple-checked all my settings and rebooted more than I needed to.

I used Jang's book for the actual studying, but I have half a dozen Linux books I've gone through over the year. I get distracted by things not on the RHCSA course material and would rather work on RHCE or more infrastructure-based services.

The exam did feel more rewarding for me because it was hands on. You have that fear that you make one change and 2 hours of work goes down the tubes.

I think I'm done with certs for a while and will just focus my efforts on learning more about openstack and docker.

Comments

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! What is the significance of the sub?
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    I was in the Navy for 5 years as communications guy on submarines.
    Xavor wrote: »
    I was in the Navy for 5 years as communications guy on submarines.

I was never in the Navy, but worked on subs from 1971-1977 in Groten and Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the cert :D
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thanks!

I was unfortunately station in Hawaii for most of my time in. icon_cool.gif
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Good job @Xavor! RCHSA is a very nice compliment to VCP and S+.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I took the kiosk version for rhel6 last week and passed by a good margin. I wanted to take the test on 6 because that is what I studied on this year. I believe in January all the exams will be on rhel7.

The kiosk style exam felt awkward because of all the cameras, but overall I think it went well. The time flies by, and I left one question unanswered because I didn't want to risk making the system unbootable with only 15 minutes left on my time. I triple-checked all my settings and rebooted more than I needed to.

I used Jang's book for the actual studying, but I have half a dozen Linux books I've gone through over the year. I get distracted by things not on the RHCSA course material and would rather work on RHCE or more infrastructure-based services.

The exam did feel more rewarding for me because it was hands on. You have that fear that you make one change and 2 hours of work goes down the tubes.

I think I'm done with certs for a while and will just focus my efforts on learning more about openstack and docker.

Congratulations on your pass! The RHEL 6 exam end on Feb 28, 2014. I'm working on mine right now and hoping to take it before the deadline.
    Thanks all! Yeah, I wanted to test on RHEL6 even though it's being phased out. I think the only way to test on RHEL6 now is the kiosk version, and in my area it was not offered so I had to drive 3 hours to a testing facility.

I've studied a lot of the topics for the RHCE and higher, but I don't see the ROI on taking the exams unless it was sponsored or required by my employer.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done. The RHCSA is on my to do list as well but gonna get to grips with RHEL 7 first.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790

What?! My story exactly! A lot of distractions and a mini- library of Linux books at home with Jang's book on the to- do list for every day of the past year...
    And that's what I'll do as well, after RHCE.
    Congratulations on the pass, it isn't a small feat. Did you go for the "class and exam" package or passed on the classes and just went for the exam?
    Is RHCE in your sites?
    @verities If you look at the other thread concerning this in the Red Hat forum, you'll find you have until the 28th to sign up for it, but a year to take it.
    @varelg

When I started on the Linux path I was set for the RHCE as a goal. I'm not actively pursuing it right now unless certs are required by my employer. I could see myself taking all the Red Hat exams, but that cost would add up fast with minimal return on investment.

Does that mean I won't work to get better at the topics in the exam? I get exposed to a lot of different technologies at work, and I have to spend time to read up on those instead. I doubt I'll ever be the master of bind, or iscsi, or ldap, but I read up on them when I get time to try and stay ahead of the curve-balls. I'm not great with SELinux either, and that's on the list as well ;)

I spent Saturday building an OpenStack environment at home, and Sunday reading docs about it only to be distracted by clustered filesystems discussions.