Anyone here use the Tor Browser?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Does anyone here use the Tor broswer, thinking of using it but not sure if it's really helps to stay anonymous.

Anyone?

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It probably depends on who you are hiding from. I have heard rumor that the NSA hosts some of the endpoints so they can better monitor TOR traffic. True or False? Who cares the NSA can read my posts all they want.

I would expect it helps block advertisers. They track IP addresses for everything and I doubt they are wasting to many resources on finding the few people that really try hide their tracks. It's all a numbers game to them.

I say try it for fun but I doubt it's really required for most people.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I used to but I stopped mostly because it was slow slow slow.

So instead bought a years VPN connection with multi-endpoint options for $40
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    You're probably good with TOR, unless you're hiding from the most advanced of adversaries. If that's who you're hiding from, you're probably already pwnd.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I used to but I stopped mostly because it was slow slow slow.

So instead bought a years VPN connection with multi-endpoint options for $40

This.

Check out this list for VPN providers. Also, unless you are very, very careful, it is possible to leak information from the browser bundles. Using a full distro, rather then the browser is probably more secure.

Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2014 Edition | TorrentFreak

And, from a network monitoring point of view - TOR use really stands out on any network with even a little bit of NSM. As Matthew Green put it: "I would liken Tor to putting on Sauron's ring. The wearer is invisible to ordinary beings, like Men, but highly visible to the Nazgul." So, do a quick bit of threat modeling to decide why you think you need / want to use TOR, then a bit of research for what options for opsec there are out there. There was a guy at Harvard that used TOR for bomb threats and was caught because he was using TOR.

FBI agents tracked Harvard bomb threats despite Tor | The Verge
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If at any point I feel the need to use Tor (mostly for, well, torrenting), I'd just rent a cloud server with good bandwidth somewhere and set up a VPN.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    wes allen wrote: »
    This.

Check out this list for VPN providers. Also, unless you are very, very careful, it is possible to leak information from the browser bundles. Using a full distro, rather then the browser is probably more secure.

Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2014 Edition | TorrentFreak

Use PIA myself. Number one on that list. Never had an issue.
  • VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice. I've been hearing positive reviews of PIA.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used Tor, but I don't on a regular bases. I normally just use the VPN service I pay for (ivpn.net). I connected from public WiFi a lot when traveling and have it setup to connect anything I use a non-password protected network.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PIA user too, I've used tor in chrome before and it's very slow, lots of latency in all those hops. Never used tor browser but I'd imagine it's the same sort of experience. It should keep you anonymous but so should a good vpn, to a point. Tor has had some security issues in the past, that's how silk road was shutdown.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    PIA user too, I've used tor in chrome before and it's very slow, lots of latency in all those hops. Never used tor browser but I'd imagine it's the same sort of experience. It should keep you anonymous but so should a good vpn, to a point. Tor has had some security issues in the past, that's how silk road was shutdown.

Im not convinced the Silk Road was sunk because of tor....have you read the filings related to this? The FBIs claims don't make sense...I think krebs had a good write up on it.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Didn't the FBI end up getting someone on the inside, and were able to bust them that way?
    FBI is claiming captcha leakage but that wouldn't have leaked the real site. I just went by initial, often wrong, reports from ars technica I think it was and they stressed tor wasn't as secure as thought.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Use PIA myself. Number one on that list. Never had an issue.

Same here. PIA doesn't throttle my bandwidth much and seems pretty secure.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Same here. PIA doesn't throttle my bandwidth much and seems pretty secure.

For what it's worth, my speedtests (generic speedtest.net type stuff) were faster with PIA when I was on Cox. It's all equal with uverse now. PIA is good stuff!
    jamthat wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my speedtests (generic speedtest.net type stuff) were faster with PIA when I was on Cox. It's all equal with uverse now. PIA is good stuff!

That's surprising pia (in .nl) has better speeds then cox. Where was the speedtest located?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    techfiend wrote: »
    That's surprising pia (in .nl) has better speeds then cox. Where was the speedtest located?

I have no problems with speed. :)

and I download torrents all the time, you would think by now they would throttle my speeds... icon_rolleyes.gif

kind of makes me re-think Tor Browser though....
  • VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Giving Tor a try on my Linux Netbook. I was wondering if this would be a good cheap alternative for people that just want to avoid Man In The Middle Attacks when using mobile devices on public Wifi.

Also, do you have to be careful which search engine you use to avoid being de-anonymized? I noticed Google distrusts Tor network behavior and has asked me for Captchas.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VIDEODROME wrote: »
    I noticed Google distrusts Tor network behavior and has asked me for Captchas.

I VPN exclusively so I've noticed this behavior too - it's really annoying!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown