New to Vmware

amstealthamstealth Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Should I wait to get certified with vcp6 or start now with vcp5?

Thank you

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The VCP6 hasn't even been announced yet and even when it comes out there will not be a lot of quality material available on day 1. You are better off learning 5.5 because it will still be around for a long time.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    The 5.5 exam was not available until 4 - 5 months after vSphere 5.5 was released GA. As there has been no information as of yet for vSphere 6, it is not worth waiting for it as you may end up waiting some months for it. Keep in mind, if you take the 5.5 now, you may only need to take an upgrade exam later on. So it may work out better to do 5.5 now.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • amstealthamstealth Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great advice. Thank You
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Agreed with the above, I'm in the same boat. I'm starting my VCP journey this month and was on the fence about waiting for 6.0. As others have stated there won't be any quality information out there for 5+ months after release.

I may be wrong here, but i've also heard they are going to move towards just a standard VCP certification title. So regardless of what version you take, you just become VCP and it's valid for 2 years. After 2 years you have to retake the exam.

Can anyone validate that?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont wait for the 6.0, just do what's available now and do that tiny baby upgrade exam later. They already have a standard VCP cert, whether you are a VCP on vSphere 3/4/5/5.5 you are still a VCP. After 2 years you need to take a different VCP or a VCAP. You cannot be a VCP on vSphere 5 and then be a VCP on 5.5 too, in order to renew your standard VCP you'll need to pass say the VCP:DT/Cloud or any VCAP.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's my understanding that we should renew every two years, but can we technically remain certified for life on the vSphere X version or we still have to renew for that same X version? I know this may sounds like a dumb question, but some of us may not be interested in renewing our certs.
    You will not remain certified for life, check here. You renew with a higher cert or a cert from a different track, see my previous post for more.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's my understanding that we should renew every two years, but can we technically remain certified for life on the vSphere X version or we still have to renew for that same X version? I know this may sounds like a dumb question, but some of us may not be interested in renewing our certs.

No, all VCP certifications have an expiration date of 2 years after you pass the exam. If you let it expire you are no longer VCP certified and you would have to the fulfill the class requirement again before taking the test.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Last I heard, VCAPs are for life.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    You will not remain certified for life, check here. You renew with a higher cert or a cert from a different track, see my previous post for more.

Thanks Essendon. I was hoping they'd follow the Microsoft way. Not the Cisco way. Sincere folks who aren't looking forward to renew aren't going to claim that they're certified with the latest version. If I'm certified on vSphere 5. I'd just tell others I'm VCP5 to be more specific. I see it's quite challenging to do well in both system administration and virtualization. Hence the higher pay for those qualifications. :)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dave330i wrote: »
    Last I heard, VCAPs are for life.

If this is so more the reason for me to get VCAP; did I ever tell you guys I'm a lazy Mofo? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Thanks Essendon. I was hoping they'd follow the Microsoft way. Not the Cisco way. Sincere folks who aren't looking forward to renew aren't going to claim that they're certified with the latest version. If I'm certified on vSphere 5. I'd just tell others I'm VCP5 to be more specific. I see it's quite challenging to do well in both system administration and virtualization. Hence the higher pay for those qualifications. icon_smile.gif

Not to deviate to far from OP, but I concur, not sure how I'm going to pull off the CCNA/MCSA this year and then hop back onto the VCAP bandwagon... just one day at a time I guess...
    Yes, VCAP's are for life. None of my VCAPs have an expiration date.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..