Options

Query for CISSP topic on SAN

niceniksniceniks Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am going for the examination on 7th Feb 2015. I have 1 query
What is the difference between HSM ( Hierarchical Storage Management) & SAN (storage area network) ?

It is confusing me a lot as it is seeming to me that both are being used for same & working also like same??

Guys plz help me.icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Yeah, questions found on **** can be confusing. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    amol9wamol9w Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you do not want to fail...extend your exam and study more. Don't how come SAN & HSM are same in wildest of my dream even though i am not expert in storage
  • Options
    dear amol9w if you have answer for my query plz tell me
  • Options
    plz google this are basic technical question not the ones where you need to apply mind. I hope this will be good for you rather than giving you the answer. Or if possible explain your logic why you find it same. i can answer you on that.
  • Options
    in SAN only hard disks are used or like HSM all the things like jukeboxes & tape drives. are both online or offline for storage??
  • Options
    Yes SAN only HDD are used of one type and not multiple type whereas HSM involves multiple medias...Ok i think you are thinking today's SAN also offers feature of moving less accessed data to lower cost disk.....But remember SAN is for less data...HSM is like archieve of data with current data in primary storage(which can be SAN)