Vmware certified courses in NYC?

MordyITMordyIT Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone know of where I can look for VCP5 approved training in NYC?
The rip-off schools here want over $3k for 5 day course.
I think I might just study for the exam and slap it on my resume when i pass it, but I'd enjoy going back to college to take a class.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Have you seen the thread here with the Stanly.edu class for $200?
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    +1 for Stanly CC. Just took the course at the end of last year. Less than $200 including an exam voucher. It takes a while to be accepted due to the long wait list, but totally worth it for the deep discount.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    +1 for Stanly, go there.
  • MordyITMordyIT Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow that's cheap thanks! But that's in NC. Is it online?
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Yes indeed, online. You need to get on the waiting list.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another +1 for Stanly. The admin staff has an account on this forum, and, I believe, so does one of the instructors. They are very responsive. If you can wait until a slot opens, I highly recommend it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes, $3k is the approximate market price for the official 5-day class from VMware or one of their VATC partners - the only way you can get trained in that timeframe, and by a VCI too.

For reference, go back 8 years and it was around $4k for a 4-day class.

Stanly and other VITAs are for individuals rather than corporates - there's a market for both types of organisations.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here. Taking Stanly class right now ($185 but waiting list of about 4-5 months) since it is a great price and I was able to complete my CCNA in the mean time. Link here.

Also, check Dallas County Community College, CWA/Net academy (one class opens every month), Ohlone College, UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and CCCT&I. Prices go from $236 to $1,750.

The only problem is the cost of the books; almost $70 including shipping. Most people here don't buy them, instead use Lowe's book. Myself I decided to buy it, I think it's still worth it.
    Thanks I signed up. I guess I can work on other certs and maybe find another free VCA cert in the mean time.
  • GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Buy Pluralsight/CBTNuggets for a month or two, or better, buy Lowe's book and read it and do some hands on practice (Do you have a lab at home?). You will need additional content since the class is not enough (it's kind of a joke). VMware tells you that on the very first slide of their training. Do a search on this forum and you will realize why the class is not enough.
  • mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at local community colleges in their "Continuing Education" department. My local CC offers, everything from A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSA, VCP, etc. They offered CCNA-Security, CCNP-Security before, but not enough interest. The cost will vary. Originally the VCP class was $1500, but went to $2400. It was every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-10:00 for 11 weeks and we built the lab to simulate scenarios we would encounter. It was a great class. Nothing was rushed and we had plenty of time to cover the class. The 5 day classes are too much. You might pass an exam, but you won't have enough lab time. If you have questions, you can PM me. GL!
    I have an hp ml110 with 4 15k drives and a laptop for interfacing with vshpere, i guess i can use my core 2 duo as another physical hypervisor to test vcenter features.
    Ima keep looking at colleges here. I think its worth it to pay more for the hands on lab and socialize with peers. I just dont see it offered here besides the scam schools that sit u in a basement and make u look at videos
  • pFunkSTL314pFunkSTL314 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wish I had known about Stanley. I took a flight to Asia and took an official class from VMware. Great way to get a vacation though and the VMware class was only $960. They also provide lunch everyday onsite. Spent less than $2000 for the class, hotel, food, and airfare.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for providing the link. We are also offering CCNA courses as distant learning as well. Intro to Networks starts Monday as does R & S Essentials.
    GAB1900 wrote: »
    Same here. Taking Stanly class right now ($185 but waiting list of about 4-5 months) since it is a great price and I was able to complete my CCNA in the mean time. Link here.

Also, check Dallas County Community College, CWA/Net academy (one class opens every month), Ohlone College, UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and CCCT&I. Prices go from $236 to $1,750.

The only problem is the cost of the books; almost $70 including shipping. Most people here don't buy them, instead use Lowe's book. Myself I decided to buy it, I think it's still worth it.