Is Ruby worth learning for Linux Admin?

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I came across few configuration management tools in the Linux admin job postings. I thought Python would be the language of choice for creating modules. Surprisingly enough, Puppet and Chef, the two top CM tools, are using Ruby. Vagrant (created by MIT) is using Ruby too. Although Salt/Saltstack and Ansible still use Python.

So is it worth investing in the "hot" stuff now? I've not yet work with Linux in a production environment, but I'd like to learn the language sooner if it'll become a necessity for future Linux admins.

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Ruby, Ruby on Rails and Python are popular in the Linux world. Despite their differences, I don't think it matters which one you choose since they're all in demand.
    Maybe try some tutorials out on each and see which one you like working with more? I like to refer people to CodeAcademy since they have FREE interactive learning tools for both Ruby and Python.
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    It can't hurt and it's not really a difficult language to pick up.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Ruby is the language I use in a lot of my automation, but python is the language that has more ground. If you learn ruby its not hard to go back and learn python. Python will be a little more strict in the way the code looks, but its something you can over come.

If you don't have any programming experience either is a good 1st choice.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both are really handy to learn - if you look at how many sites are built on RoR and Django now.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I like to refer people to CodeAcademy since they have FREE interactive learning tools for both Ruby and Python.

+1 I fully agree with this suggestion. I'm a fan of CodeAcademy. I've gone through their Python and PHP class, but I paused the Ruby class a while back, simply because I didn't see the demand for it until now.

I want to stress that learning a programming language and its syntax is worthless if you don't use it much. Admittedly, I'm forgetting a few chunks of codes in several languages, but I've a pretty solid academic programming background in C++ and Java.

I'm now trying to learn Python again from a CS perspective on Edx. I really wanted to learn Ruby with this approach as well as CodeAcademy wasn't repetitive enough. Even if I go through it again, I'd still remember how to solve it. I believe it's important to juggle through many different type of training and materials in one language to set a good memory retention and in-depth understanding.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that I'm also try to find training/learning material that teaches from a Linux perspective so that I can hit the ground running.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If you plan to do your own puppet development, ruby is what you want.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm old school, so I use PERL myself when BASH doesn't cut it. I do use Ansible in production, though.
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe any knowledge learned is useful.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Surprisingly enough, Puppet and Chef, the two top CM tools, are using Ruby. Vagrant (created by MIT) is using Ruby too. Although Salt/Saltstack and Ansible still use Python.

Atteneded a meetup last night for fluentd, alot of folks scoffed at Ruby, however everyone admitted that Puppet and Chef were awesome and they couldn't imagine how they got by without them.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown