Options

ESXi hardware planning

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I plan on having a 240GB ssd and 1 or 2 hdd's to begin with for my lab. It'll begin as a server 2012 lab and evolve into a vmware and cisco lab. I plan on using an FX-8320 and maybe 5 or 6 vm's. I'm still unsure how I'm going to do the storage for all this though.

My current plan is to run esxi from a flash drive, use the ssd for os's, that may expand to a raid1 the first time 2012 expires. HDD's would be for storage and I also plan on having an 8.1 vm with wmc on it for a pvr, that will take most of the storage.

A few questions:
1. I was thinking of running a bsd vm to raidz the hdd's for easy expansion, performance and reliability, is this possible and a good idea?
2. Is running esxi from a flash drive a good idea or should I run it from a small partition on the ssd?
3. I'm planning on buying an intel nic because I don't think realtek is supported by esxi. Is there any need to have multiple nic's?
4. I have 8GB of ram now, if I add another 8 GB is that enough? I think server 2012 runs fine on 4GB, might give 8.1 6GB, bsd should be ok on 1 or 2GB, may have a linux vm too.
5. I have a pci capture card and 2 usb cards, will these be able to work in the 8.1 vm?
6. I have an hdhomerun on the network, this should work right?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    You are over complicating things I think, why install ESX on a USB drive if you will have an SSD, ESXi doesn't use much space.

Also using BSD/FreeNAS as a VM you won't really be getting any of the benefits of ZFS, ZFS needs access to the hardware itself, if you create a VM, you are just passing the hardware through a hypervisor to BSD.
    If the hardware fails there is no redundancy there.
    Not to mention FreeNAS doesn't recommend using it in a VM for anything aside from testing.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I could very well be, I've never setup an esxi whitebox before. Only a xenserver one that was kept pretty simple, just a couple hdd's. Good point on zfs and something I didn't think of. It appears to only really be usable as a NAS.

I might be putting an esxi white box on hold for now but does anyone know if the pci and usb capture cards could be pushed through esxi?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)