Problem with CISCO Router 2600 series Booting

sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
Hey guys, So it seems like i have a bad luck when it comes to cisco devices. Just broke a 2950 switch as some of you know.

Now I have this new problem. This router was working fine when i checked a few days ago. didn't do anything on it after. but today when i started learning routing and tried to boot it up it shows me error message and the booting process is in continuous loop.

Here's what I see:

################################################################################### [OK]

*** Machine Check Exception ***
PC = 0x826c0178, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0x8000616c

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x1912848
Self decompressing the image : ######################################################################################################################

boot aborted due to exception. No idea why this is happening. Haven't even learned any command on routers and it has started to give me trouble.

So i searched a bit online and a cisco site said send a break command. so through tera term I did

and it takes me to ROMMON mode, which I have no idea what that is.

So through ROMMON mode I tried typing few commands like boot and stuff but no luck.

Any idea from you guys would be great!!

I'm not giving up just yet.
ICND1 ---> 6th March

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    try resetting your memory sticks. open the cover, pull the memory and put it back in.
    at the rommon prompt do a "dir flash:" see if it can read the flash memory
  • sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
    clarson wrote: »
    at the rommon prompt do a "dir flash:" see if it can read the flash memory

When I do "Dir flash:" command this is the only thing that it gives me:

rommon 1 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    26290624 bytes (0x19129c0) 0xfa15 c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-11.XJ4.bin
    rommon 2 >

Will open the cover and put the results in a while.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Well cisco recommend 192d/48f for the version of the ios you have. the ios fits on to the flash, which is good. But, from your first post it is only recognizing 64mb of main memory. That is quite low. you should have at least 128d. hopefully you have two 64mb memory sticks and one just needs to be reseated.
    Well cisco recommend 192d/48f for the version of the ios you have. the ios fits on to the flash, which is good. But, from your first post it is only recognizing 64mb of main memory. That is quite low. you should have at least 128d. hopefully you have two 64mb memory sticks and one just needs to be reseated.

Hey so i opened it up. and I only found one ROM in the slot. :/ I took it out and put it back in.
    but the same msg comes up!!.

I have few other 2501 routers. Can I take out Ram out of them or RAM out of the SWITCH I screwed up and put it here ?? Would it work?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    there are alot of router models in the 2600 series. How about telling us which one it is?
    switches don't have add in memory, so that is non removeable.
    and 2500 series memory won't work in a 2600 series
    not sure what you mean by "one rom in the slot"
    I'm thinking there are 3 memory slots, 2 for dram and one for flash. Your previous info shows that you have a flash stick and at least one dram stick.
    there are alot of router models in the 2600 series. How about telling us which one it is?
    switches don't have add in memory, so that is non removeable.
    and 2500 series memory won't work in a 2600 series
    not sure what you mean by "one rom in the slot"
    I'm thinking there are 3 memory slots, 2 for dram and one for flash. Your previous info shows that you have a flash stick and at least one dram stick.

- The router only says 2600 XM series.

- Didn't know what its called. From what you mentioned, yes I have one flash stick which is fixed in place. And 2 slots for dram.
    - Now only one of those dram slot has a removable stick which I unplugged and plugged back in.

- I'm attaching images so you can see what I mean. Thanks.

ICND1 ---> 6th March
    the model number is printed vertically between the on/off switch and the wic 0 slot.

I'm thinking you need more memory to run that ios. But, you said it was working fine before like this.
    you seem to have a tftp server going. So, lets see if an ios that is smaller in size will work before running out to buy more memory. find an ios that is smaller than 16mb (probably a version 12.3 or 12.2) (while your looking for that you might as well get c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin too) and install it on the router. you'll have to tftp it over from rommon. How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command - Cisco and see if that will work.
    might as well try resetting the flash stick too.

aren't you glad your using real hardware. you get to learn so much more.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like your memory went bad... also as Clarson pointed out you didn't even have anywhere near the amount of memory needed for that image to be supported.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yep, max out the flash/dram. eBay has cheap kits to max out both or buy individual sticks as needed.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    the model number is printed vertically between the on/off switch and the wic 0 slot.

I'm thinking you need more memory to run that ios. But, you said it was working fine before like this.
    you seem to have a tftp server going. So, lets see if an ios that is smaller in size will work before running out to buy more memory. find an ios that is smaller than 16mb (probably a version 12.3 or 12.2) (while your looking for that you might as well get c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin too) and install it on the router. you'll have to tftp it over from rommon. How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command - Cisco and see if that will work.

haha. true. Making too many mistakes but learning from it.

Thanks for the support all of you. I'll try to follow what you mentioned and post back the results!!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Guys, how do I connect the 2501 router to the switch ??

I can connect it to the computer via console port but on the back of the router there is no fast ethernet port. there is only AUX port which looks like the port of ethernet. and there are two serial ports and one AUI port.

Do I need another cable now?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    The AUI port is your Ethernet port on the 2501. Make sure and read through this link, there are some unique things about the 2500 series routers.

2500 Series Routers
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why did you get a 2501? That's a pretty old router...for instance no regular fast Ethernet ports. I would recommend getting a 2600 series router or newer.
    as above, you need an aui ethernet transceiver: ethernet transceiver aui | eBay
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    A 2600 or even an 1841 would be a much better choice.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Why did you get a 2501? That's a pretty old router...for instance no regular fast Ethernet ports. I would recommend getting a 2600 series router or newer.

made a mistake i guess. I have another router of 2600 series which stopped working as mentioned. I'm trying to restore it but stuck at tftp stuff. I hope I can restore it then i can connect the two via serial ports. (i think).
    ICND1 ---> 6th March

Hey so i'm trying to revive the 2651 xm series router.

Now for tftp do i need to connect it to my internet?

It has a fast ethernet port so I can connect it to my switch and switch is connected to internet via ethernet. But just connecting it won't give it internet right?

cuz im in rommon mode so i cant configure the router.

so here's the situation.

My pc is connected to router 2651 via console port and that's it. no other wiring. what to do ?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March

Cisco won't let me download the IOS 12.2 or 3 or any version. it says i have to have some ID number. :/ So I can't upgrade now ?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Hey so i'm trying to revive the 2651 xm series router.

Now for tftp do i need to connect it to my internet?

It has a fast ethernet port so I can connect it to my switch and switch is connected to internet via ethernet. But just connecting it won't give it internet right?

cuz im in rommon mode so i cant configure the router.

so here's the situation.

My pc is connected to router 2651 via console port and that's it. no other wiring. what to do ?

sent you a private message

you don't need an internet connection. But, you do need a network connection. connect your router to the switch with a straight through ethernet cable. your router will need to know the ip address of your pc. and you need to assign the router an ip address, which is easiest if it is on the same network as your pc.
    the configuring of the router is explain in the link i sent previously.
    Just use the 25xx as your serial router or dedicate it for ntp use....

For tftp, download the right iso and run tftpd service (many options for this) on your PC.
    Connect your switch/router to your home switch/router on the same subnet as your pc running tftpd and get the iso into the flash from there.
    Thanks for the help guys. but not getting anywhere with it. leaving it for now. Will go to a repair shop and show it to them. Let's see.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Damn it I can't let this go.

Ok so I set things up. Downloaded the solarwinds tftp server and started it.

Now I'm doing something wrong with the Ip addresses and I want help pls!

So in the link clarson gave me they had an example and accordingly I put my ip addresses.

Here's what I did:

IP_ADDRESS: 192.168.0.104
    IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
    TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.0.103
    TFTP_FILE: c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-17

first is the IP address of the 2600 router im trying to fix.
    3rd is my home router. My pc's default gateway is the same.
    4th is my PC's address. I guessed I was running the solarwind on my PC so TFTP server's Ip shud be my pc's.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Now I can ping all the ips listed here.

But in the ROMMON mode when i type tftpdnld command, it asks for permission and I say yes but then packets drop!!!

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS:

rommon 17 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 192.168.0.104
    IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
    TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.0.103
    TFTP_FILE: c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-17

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.
    WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!
    Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y
    ............. [TIMED OUT]
    TFTP: Operation terminated.
    rommon 18 >

So where do i make the changes?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    it looks like the router isn't making a connection to your tftp server. you say you started the tftp server service running. Is it configured properly? do you see the router making a connection to it? is there another device on your network that might be at 192.168.0.104?
    And, might your pc have a firewall that is blocking udp on port 69?
    Turn windows firewall off (on the pc where solarwinds is running) (or add tftpd to it's allowed services) as a test to see if it's blocking your router from making a connection out to tftp service.
  • awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried to ping the router from your PC and vise-versa?
    it looks like the router isn't making a connection to your tftp server. you say you started the tftp server service running. Is it configured properly? do you see the router making a connection to it? is there another device on your network that might be at 192.168.0.104?
    And, might your pc have a firewall that is blocking udp on port 69?

You were right. I stopped the firewall and the connection started however, two questions.

Now I have two files.

c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-17 and c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d

Which one do I transfer through tftp ??

and when i transfer solarwind shows connected but says transmission failed and could not find the file in root folder. it shows the directory but that's where in my pc i saved the file. In c drive tftp root folder.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    awitt11 wrote: »
    Have you tried to ping the router from your PC and vise-versa?

yupp i pinged the router from pc and it works but router is in rommon mode so can't ping from there. no option.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Here is the msg i get from solarwinds

attaching the image. Did I set the tftp server ip wrong?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    Ok new problem!!

So I started doing xmodem and sent the file to my router. Which I thing was received by it.

When I do dir flash: command it shows me this:
    ommon 3 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    29968428 bytes (0x1c9482c) 0x033a c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d

I sent this file: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d through xmodem and its here now. But my router is still in rommon mode and now the boot error msg is this:

rommon 5 > boot
    program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x1c9468c

Error : memory requirements exceed available memory
    Memory required : 0x047479B8

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
    signal= 0x17, code= 0x4, context= 0x80080650
    PC = 0x0, Vector = 0x0, SP = 0x0

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C2600 platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x1c9468c

Error : memory requirements exceed available memory

So what do i do now??

Do i still have to do tftp thing ??? and when I do that it doesn't find the file directory as mentioned in the post above!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March