numbers? is MCDST up to par?

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
Is there anyone else with MCDST or working on MCDST that feels it's really not that popular? MCSA isnt that much harder nor more work for many IT professionals, is there really a need for MCDSTs?

How many MCDSTs are there anyway? Do employers view MCP on 70-270 more valuable than a MCDST?

It seems like MCDST is filling a gap that isnt that big of a deal, and the market for MCDSTs isnt big enough that the rest of the other IT professionals could easily fill the gap.

Any thoughts?
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    IMHO: I think that there is a great deal of need for help desk jobs, which dont cover server admins or MCSA's, jobs like helping users on the phones and stuff, and there is high demand for them everywhere, you just have to know where to look for the jobs, a good site i recommend is, www.thingamajob.com search under Information Technology then help desk and you will see great number jobs. And btw i'am currently studying for MCDST, i passed 271, current studying for 272, i failed first time by score of 675...
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm studying for 272 as well. I am using Sybex MCDST. My exam is on Friday. I past 271 on June 29.

Any heads-up for me before I write 272.

ps. Thank you so much for the link to the site, it looks really helpful! Thanks!
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    well what i learned from experience, is know Outlook Express and Microsoft office and Internet Explorer like the back of your head, for thats what i did bad on, Resolving Issues Related to Usability specifically.... Know how to customize Desktop and the OS too, dont stress that much on security thats the easiest section, stuff like knowing to update your virus definitions and common sense stuff really.. Oh and know remote desktop well and windows firewall as well. Know the common networking services, including DHCP, DNS, and WINS. Basically all the objectives well, heh, anyways i hope this helped you a bit..
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Is there anyone else with MCDST or working on MCDST that feels it's really not that popular? MCSA isnt that much harder nor more work for many IT professionals, is there really a need for MCDSTs?

How many MCDSTs are there anyway? Do employers view MCP on 70-270 more valuable than a MCDST?

It seems like MCDST is filling a gap that isnt that big of a deal, and the market for MCDSTs isnt big enough that the rest of the other IT professionals could easily fill the gap.

Any thoughts?

The job roles are completely different, and except for the HDI certs, no one with a lot of visibility was really tackling the HelpDesk job role (and the MCSA doesn't focus on Office or IE options and configuration). Microsoft has the name employers recognize, and if I was hiring for a helpdesk position I would probably look more for someone with that experience and skillset... not saying an MCSA couldn't do it, but the MCDST may be more inline with the job requirements.

The need is there for the certification, but it is still fairly new (at least newer than MCSA and MCSE), and IT hiring managers may be less familiar with what it is and covers than Network Administrator certifications.

I don't necessarily think someone interested in a career in Network Administration, Software Development, or Database Administration would ever need to pursue the certification, or see it much of value, but that is a far cry from (level 1 and level 2) Helpdesk positions.

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
    Perhaps the need is greater in the States, and particularly in California. It seems like the market for Help Desk isnt that big here in Canada.

There's still great needs for network tecnicians and entry-level network support, but they mostly require experience + CCNA. Because of this, I find that the gap for MCDSTs isnt as big as Microsoft had presented it to be. At least for Toronto, up here in Canada.

Nevertheless, I'll be writing my 272 this Friday, and hopefully obtaining MCDST.
    Good Luck!
    rcoop wrote:
    Good Luck!

I felt that I was ready, I decided to take it 2 days early. Passed 272 last night after 45 minutes with 809.

See:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16374

Thanks! I wonder if I am still in the 5000 charter club...lol...
    Ah... if only I had read that post first! Congratulations!!!

Best of luck in your Net+ pursuits!

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    even though I have the certificate now (sort of...still waiting for transcript to update and to receive my welcome kit)...I dont feel different about the job market for helpdesk.

I have no luck finding jobs in this field in my area, and I'm thinking about going back to jobs such as pc technician and other bestbuy-like jobs working with desktops at pc repair shops.

hopefully I'll be able to get my foot in helpdesk/system support when school starts, and I can start applying through the school's system admin.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO MCSA is way harder than MCDST. Desktop support and System Administration are way different and focus on totally different areas.

For example: Fixing a users display resolution is a lot different than configuring user domain accounts. Granted, they are both elementary tasks, but are a lot different.

I do think the MCDST is a valuable cert as far as a stepping stone into a help desk role, but for much else I think it's limited.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've found that the MCDST isn't as sought-after as a lot of other certifications, such as A+, Net+, and of course, MCSE and CCNA. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't have its merits. Companies I've worked for, and ones I've interviewed with haven't asked for this cert, per se, but many have been willing to pay to have you take it, if you work for them. (One of my regrets, in not doing it when I was with a certain computer company's repair shop.) The MCDST seems to be one of those "industry secrets", that is starting to get some attention.

For some companies, it seems like a nice in-between point from people wanting to make the jump from "technician" to helpdesk or admin work. A lot of people I know have CompTIA certs, and by themselves, things like A+ or Net+ isn't always enough to be taken seriously. Employers are expecting more and more, even going so far as to say you need MCSE or CCNA for basic helpdesk work. This is where the MCDST fits in nicely. A lot of companies associate this cert closely with MCSA/MCSE, and are (usually) pleased with the fact that you hold a Microsoft cert. Others simply want to see something beyond A+, to know that you not only can work with the technologies, but also interact with users and customers.

The MCDST isn't a bad thing, and I certainly hope that the momentum it's gained in being recognized keeps up. A lot of us don't always have access to the kind of labs and material we need for a "bigger" cert, such as the MCSE or CCNA, and we don't always have the experience with those technologies. Working with users and customers isn't a big leap, though, for most of us, and wrapping our heads around work orders and tickets, along with a deeper look at troubleshooting Windows, is a much better place to start.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    no doubt MCDST and MCSA has different job responsibilities, very different if I would say so.
    I'm just thinking that the need for MCDST isnt that great, and there are enough MCSAs out there they are more than capable of doing desktop support. and some may be willing to too...

You for example, has both MCSA and MCDST, which means you can if you wanted to easily fulfil the responsibilities of a desktop support technician.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If I were an employer, and wanted my employees to be able to cover each other's roles to some extent, I'd like to see the MCDST along with the MCSA/MCSE. It appears there are things on the MCDST track that I am sure one would encounter if they talk to an end user in any capacity, and having an MCSA would not satisfy the needed knowledge for may desktop areas.

Now when MS had the +I specialization, that could cover many areas that MCDST now covers regarding IE.
    I'm REALLY hoping MCDST wouldnt go down like MCP+I...
    those dont exist anymore right?
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    I'm doing my MCDST as an elective for my MCSA.I think is a great idea beacause , not only I become MCSA , not only I have another certification MCDST that maybe is a plus but I learn new thing's , which I think is important.

The important thing is knowledge and practice.If you have themn both it\s very good , for me this is MCDST , Am I right ?
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
    taktsoi wrote:
    I recently received an email from my professor that says that certifications are not as important as in the past. Please post your comments. Thank you.

Here is the article:

Among "cooling" certified tech skills, those that have lost their value in
    the last year, the study lists nine, including MCDST (Microsoft Certified
    Desktop Support Technician), CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor),
    and three Novell certifications (NCDE, MCNE, and CNA).

Fourteen certifications have grown in value, showing an 11 percent or higher
    growth over the last year, including SCNP (Security Certified Network
    Professional), CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) and MCT
    (Microsoft Certified Trainer).

Highest-paid certifications include CISM (Certified Information Security
    Manager), CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor), and five different
    Cisco certifications (CCDP, CCEA, CCIE, CCIP and CCSP).

article from:
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1954198,00.asp

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=98089#98089