What should I do?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
So as some of you may know. I have been studying on and off for Switch (I have a thread on this). Study efforts were a bit tough the 2nd half of last year because my wife had a baby which pulled me away from studies a bit. So in the last month or so I was able to ramp up my studies again and go after switch yesterday. Unfortunately I did not pass.

So...

Now I am at a dilemma. I don't think it's best for me to try to retake switch again before the exam cut off. I think I am best just putting it away for a bit and studying the new content and going after the new switch exam.

In the meantime (these next few days before all old exam cut offs occur) I have been thinking I should just go ahead and sit for TSHOOT. I have Route completed and I have Switch content VERY strong on the mind right now. From what I have read and discussed with folks TSHOOT is generally (from a technical standpoint) the easiest of the 3 tests to pass. Granted that is all relative. However, I feel it would be best for me to at least try. If I pass... that eliminates me having to relearn some new Route content for the new TSHOOT exam as well as overall prepare again for the entire new TSHOOT exam. Also the amount of money I would save on buying extra books would essentially pay for the attempt at the current TSHOOT exam.

Personally I think this is my best option and I should give it a try. What do y'all think?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you feel comfortable with the Content, I would say Go for it. Honestly, the TSHOOT topology isn't that complicated. I took TSHOOT first (a week ago) and scored 986/1000. I took ROUTE yesterday and passed, but not by much. ROUTE was a beast compared to TSHOOT. I planned to take the new SWITCH anyways (probably next Saturday as I work during the week), which is why I went for TSHOOT first.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Just do what you want to do, if you want to sit tshoot then go for it, it's a pathetically easy exam if you have R&S skills. Follow the packet
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I feel very comfortable with route/switch content, infact I feel I should have passed Switch but made some critical mistakes with time management which cost me in the end. I feel I owe it to myself to try it while the exam is still out there because I have studied so much for the current route / switch exams.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • gregjngregjn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would take the exam look at the Tshoot site the whole topology is there. list what technologies are running on each router and switch. And then review the trouble shooting for each technology at the Cisco site. It is the easiest of the CCNP exams by far. But plan the way you attack the problems. There is even a practice exam with 4 tickets on T-shoot site. If you think about and attack it logically you shouldn't have any trouble exam

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6738
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Go for it Daniel! Tshoot is a breeze and like some people have said "Follow the packet". I would definitely study the new CCNP Switch content though, no need to rush that. Do TShoot, pass. Then sit the new Switch and then you will have studied the content properly instead of rushing just to get the cert.

Good luck, followed your progress so far and I'm sure you'll nail this Switch soon. :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Go for it Daniel! Tshoot is a breeze and like some people have said "Follow the packet". I would definitely study the new CCNP Switch content though, no need to rush that. Do TShoot, pass. Then sit the new Switch and then you will have studied the content properly instead of rushing just to get the cert.

Good luck, followed your progress so far and I'm sure you'll nail this Switch soon. :)

Thank bharvey, I apprcieate the vote of confidence!

The game plan is sitting for TSHOOT Thursday if all goes well I will score a pass. Then, I will devote my studies to the new switch test. I with the amount of study I have already put into switching topics and work experience the new stuff shouldn't be too hard to adapt to and quickly get ready for a re-test on the new test.