Options

After you get your CISSP What do you do?

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
Guys

After you get your CISSP, what do you guys do? Look for another job to increase salary, keep going same position getting more experience, etc, etc.

I asked this because every time I pass a certification my supervisor begin to think and act like if I am leaving the company, something that normally I do not do, or maybe O AM LOSING SOMETHING I AM NOT AWARE? Sorry, maybe I am missing something, LOL
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I did. One of the reasons I pursued the CISSP was to advance my career and income. I passed it in September 2013 and immediately updated LinkedIn, Dice, and Indeed and was bombarded with calls and emails from recruiters each week, as well as applied to some positions. I ended up getting contacted on LinkedIn via a Fortune 100 company's internal recruiter and landed that position 4 months later. I wasn't very happy in that particular role and also wanted to relocate so again I opened up my profiles and got the contacts from recruiters again as well as I applied to positions. This time I landed a position that a recruiter contacted me for and started that at the end of last year. One year after getting the CISSP I made two moves and increased my salary 44%. Not a bad ROI on the $900 or so that I invested in the CISSP icon_thumright.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    tiagotavarestiagotavares Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question buddy, but you cannot leave any company stop your career advance. Your boss got to be proud of you, and off course, necessarily, if the company does not follow you career advance speed, they will loss you. Don't think it is a bad thing.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I agree with JoJoCAL19. Update your info and get it out there! They will contact you.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I hit the streets immediately after and had too many bites to count.
  • Options
    dctgibsondctgibson Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @emerald_octane, when did you get your CISSP? What were you doing prior to your CISSP and did you change positions/jobs afterwards? Appreciate your responses in advance....
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your currently employer most likely wont care to give you a raise if your responsibilities hasn't changed since becoming certified. @ the end of the day its just a piece of paper for them. Test the market see whats out there maybe your current manager will try to match an offer. My manager is asking me for proof of cert so now im just waiting patiently for my Hard-copy to arrive in the mail. he claims HR needs it for "budgetary" reasons... not sure i believe him really ,nevertheless, if they don't act upon it, I can say "I gave you warning":D
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I applied and got 2 offers with org's I really have wanted to work for. In the end, I stayed where I am becasue they countered.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I applied and got 2 offers with org's I really have wanted to work for. In the end, I stayed where I am becasue they countered.

Not that I would have accepted, but I wish the employer I left after getting my CISSP would have at least offered something. But they had a "next man up" mentality and that we were all easily replaceable (my experience there with senior people leaving and being replaced showed otherwise). Also it's funny, I actually got blown up by recruiters for the open position when they listed it after I left icon_lol.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my case it looks like they are not interested in this cert, they did not say congrats. I will test the market, I did not get raise in the last two years and I am in a senior position so you guys figure out.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse, with your experience and your combination of certs including the CISSP, you should have no problem finding another position in Houston. I wish I could move to Texas, especially Dallas. Plenty of nice InfoSec jobs to be had.

And sorry to hear that, but sounds like the place I left when I got mine. Barely any raises in two years, lack of appreciation in general (I was one of the most senior and one of the top two performers on a team of 14) and they didn't care. Oh well.