My climb to the VCDX

Comments

• Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Massively right now - had to put my vCAP on hold as well icon_sad.gif

Same here... At first I needed to update my lab, then when I got everything ready, I had to get eye surgery (detached retina) twice in a month, then after going back to work, things are so busy I have no energy left...

Let's hope I can get back into it soon!
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    How often do you have work reign in your cert plans?

My VCP-NV is on hold, since I keep having to reschedule NSX ICM class due to work.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also have plans for VCDX, most like VDI track at this point since I'll probably be spending a lot of time working with View.. Just need those VCAPs (WIP).
    Rebooted my design. Started afresh, used some remnants from previous design. Keep reminding myself - this is a long marathon, keep at it.

I think you should make it a Metrocluster using NetApp.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave, a current DX also said the same to me. Don't have much experience with metroclusters though, but good idea!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Actually my suggestion is some what of a joke since NetApp doesn't really have a metrocluster solution.
    Well there you go then, that shows my experience with it!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Essendon, how's your progress going, your posts seem quiet! icon_bounce.gif - stay focused! icon_study.gif
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    dave330i wrote: »
    Actually my suggestion is some what of a joke since NetApp doesn't really have a metrocluster solution.

I don't think this is true.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Progress is slow, too much going at work, little energy when I reach home. Great experience I'm getting though, which is always good.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

tprice5 wrote: »

When a metrocluster failover is manual, I don't consider it a true metrocluster solution.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    When a metrocluster failover is manual, I don't consider it a true metrocluster solution.

Regardless of what you consider to be a "true MetroCluster", the fact remains that NetApp markets a MetroCluser product and it's disingenuous to say otherwise. I imagine Essendon took you at your word and if he had repeated that in the office to colleagues he would've gotten some strange looks. I know this because I was almost in this situation. Our NetApp rep had to take me to school for a bit.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Regardless of what you consider to be a "true MetroCluster", the fact remains that NetApp markets a MetroCluser product and it's disingenuous to say otherwise. I imagine Essendon took you at your word and if he had repeated that in the office to colleagues he would've gotten some strange looks. I know this because I was almost in this situation. Our NetApp rep had to take me to school for a bit.

Metrocluster to me is continuous availability. How can you have CA if you need to do a manual failover? NetApp may market their solution as Metrocluster, but it doesn't provide CA.

Edit: You're right. You can setup a Metrocluster with NetApp. You can't setup CA with NetApp.
    Hashed out a few more pages over the Xmas break. Slowly, but surely..
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How is the design coming along Essendon? I'm trying to schedule the design class in the next month or so to help me prepare for the DCD. Preparing the systems I manage for the Superbowl has put the brakes on my free time and studying. Two more weeks till things return to normal.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    Tons of work these days mate, been putting in 12 hour days to get some stuff over the line. Things will start to return to normal in a month to a month and a half. I need to submit by August though, I know, to make it for the last defense dates of 2015. Time's running out. Are you targeting 2015 too?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ess - Slacker! ;)

I just wanted to say that this thread reminds me a bit of 'he-who-shall-no-longer-be-named-on-TE' and his CCIE progress journey where in general, some great progress was made then halted by real world events and work commitments for a month or two.

Slightly frustrating to you as I'm sure it is, these types of thread should encourage the newbies and help cement the fact that achieving the higher hanging fruit is often akin to running a marathon. Through a mine-field. One thing I know though, is that you'll get there in time :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is not feasible for me to get the design completed and ready to defend in 2015. Maybe late November/December if I really hammer through things. I just noticed the vExpert credential. Congratulations.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    I will get there, no doubt about it, may take a little longer than intended. Damn life keeps getting in the way! 2 of my work colleagues are prepping up for this too, one's submitting his for the August deadline, the other's a bigger slacker than me (but knowledgeable) so I've got people to challenge me to the finish line.

@azjag - Thanks, the credential was given to me last year, honoured to get it. The perks are great. One good point that a current VCDX at work made was people tend to over-complicate things in their design. As long as it ticks off all those things the panel's looks for, it's good enough to submit. I'm guilty of this too. Another point made was - the design should be ready for a certification, not for a customer. Prepare it the VMware way.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Another point made was - the design should be ready for a certification, not for a customer. Prepare it the VMware way.

That's the mistake I made.
    Fix it and resubmit Dave. You are VCDX material mate, I'm surprised you dont have it already.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I will get there, no doubt about it, may take a little longer than intended. Damn life keeps getting in the way! 2 of my work colleagues are prepping up for this too, one's submitting his for the August deadline, the other's a bigger slacker than me (but knowledgeable) so I've got people to challenge me to the finish line.
    That's always a good benefit of having people you can swap, or discuss your designs with who are doing the same thing. You can get some extra ideas to add or help them with some.

You'll have it done easy mate, I noticed you haven't been talking for quite some time - So it's good to see you're working on it. Hopefully I'll have mine done for VCDX-DCV9 or 10. ;)
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    Fix it and resubmit Dave. You are VCDX material mate, I'm surprised you dont have it already.

That would require serious effort on my part, and I'm not that interested in vSphere anymore. :)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    That would require serious effort on my part, and I'm not that interested in vSphere anymore. :)

I see vCAC is one of the things you're studying. Maybe a VCDX in the Cloud tract?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I see vCAC is one of the things you're studying. Maybe a VCDX in the Cloud tract?

Cloud track is still vCD, not vCAC. I would have to pass another VCAP to qualify for VCDX-Cloud. They only accept real design for the cloud track.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Cloud track is still vCD, not vCAC. I would have to pass another VCAP to qualify for VCDX-Cloud. They only accept real design for the cloud track.

Ah good to know. I have an interest in virtualization/cloud, I'm just too lazy (and maybe burnt out) to start on a whole new endeavor. Maybe one day....
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Fair enough Dave, I can see you are concentrating on the NV track, so good luck with that.

As for vCAC, IMO, it'll never really take off like vSphere did. Not mature enough, not enterprise ready, not intuitive, not enough documentation and freaking expensive.

@kj0 - by the time we get to vSphere 9.0, I reckon there'll be no interest in the VCDX: DCV with the way the virtualization area is evolving. But I get what you are saying mate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

That would require serious effort on my part, and I'm not that interested in vSphere anymore.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

Dave330i, I agree with Ess and others, you should pursue the VCDX, if you need motivation I'm only 5 hour drive from you I can kick you in your ars, would that be motivation. icon_razz.gif

They say for one to excel with themselves they must be willing to teach others, so why not be a mentor? ... I personally wouldn't mind the drive to DC for a weekend and chat sometime...
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Dave330i, I agree with Ess and others, you should pursue the VCDX, if you need motivation I'm only 5 hour drive from you I can kick you in your ars, would that be motivation. icon_razz.gif

They say for one to excel with themselves they must be willing to teach others, so why not be a mentor? ... I personally wouldn't mind the drive to DC for a weekend and chat sometime...

If I happen to work on a design that meets VCDX requirements, I might try again, but I'm not doing another fictitious design. It's just too time consuming.
    If I happen to work on a design that meets VCDX requirements, I might try again, but I'm not doing another fictitious design. It's just too time consuming.

That's the spirit; if you stop learning you stop living!