Python System Administration

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there am looking at starting to learn more about Python specifically for Administration. I use both Windows and Linux and would like to be able to automate stuff like backups, firewall configuration and have the ability to call system commands / create a fancy menu based admin script with various options a user can select.

Question is how the hell do I go about learning this? I am a python noob don't get me wrong I have followed some tutorials online but have got bored halfway through. You know the ones whee you write hello world and define variables I get impatient and want to learn more sophisticated stuff.

So are there any tutorials / Guides / videos out there for system administration or doing the above I have dipped in the o'reiley book but found it to be a bit dry and not really getting to the point.

If you have any resources or ideas as to how to get going I would be most grateful.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you do an import os then you'll get access to run commands that you would typically run on a command line via os.system.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/os.html
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out Kirk Byers intro to python, it's starting in 2 weeks. It's free and sent via email.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do I sign up for this?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, you don't need Python for anything of that. On Linux you use bash, and on Windows Powershell.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    yzT wrote: »
    Honestly, you don't need Python for anything of that. On Linux you use bash, and on Windows Powershell.

Which is exactly why he should learn and use Python. Why learn two distinct scripting languages when you can learn one that works on both Windows and Linux?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff