Options

RING TOPOLOGY

HENNOHENNO Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Thank you for all the replies.
Reference ring topolgies, if there is a break in the ring does all communication stop? Could any one please help, thanks

Comments

• Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Yes. In a ring topology, signals travel in one direction. If one node sends a packet, each node checks for its destination and passes it on thus if one node fails, the entire ring goes down.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    You mean ring or token ring...dont forget that in Token ring, if one computer fails, communication will NOT fail..the token will simply bypass that station.

Cheers~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Reference ring topolgies

Topology generally refers to the physical layout of the network. Token ring, 802.3, ethernet are technologies. They can also be termed as layer 2 (Data link) access methods.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alien wrote:
    Reference ring topolgies

Topology generally refers to the physical layout of the network. Token ring, 802.3, ethernet are technologies. They can also be termed as layer 2 (Data link) access methods.

Ring topologies are used for redundancy, if one link fails the data can use the ring in the other direction.I'm thinking along the lines of sdh rings with an intelligent upper layer for rerouting, not sure what you are talking about alien? what underlining technology are you thinking about?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I too agree that token ring and FDDI ring provide redundancy but these are technologies and not physical layouts of the network (topologies).

I believe HENNO was referring to the ring physical topology and not the token ring or FDDI.

My second thread was meant to elaborate the difference between topology as in the physical layout and topology of the datalink layer technology used where i gave examples including token ring etc as access methods.
    [/quote]
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Actually, FDDI uses a physical ring as well as token passed around in a ring. I believe Token Ring is pretty much that way too, even if all the end hosts connect to one device.

Remember Arcnet? It had a hybrid physical topology but at layer 2, was a token passed around in a ring.
  • Options
    Indeed token ring is generally implemented over a ring topology. It could also be implemented in a star topology using media access units(MAU). 802.5 token ring technologies use a single ring for token passing from one node the next. Incase there is a media break or a node in the ring goes down, the entire network may go down.

FDDI uses dual rings in both direction which provides redundancy. When failure occurs on one ring, the packets can be passed in the opposite direction using the second ring.