Options

Security+ Study Resources

tanvir2220tanvir2220 Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
What are the preferred books and study resources for Security+ ? How many hours should I study to pass? How difficult is the exam? Please suggest me,folks..

P.S: I am a beginner. Another thing, I appeared for CISA exam but could not clear(got 401). Will my CISA study be helpful in Security+ ?

Comments

• Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll answer this, since I just asked this question and got it answered myself! :D So Darril Gibson's Book [h=1]CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide[/h]is pretty much the definitive guide to the Security+ exam.

This book can be had on Amazon.com
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide: Darril Gibson: 9781939136022: Amazon.com: Books

In terms of supplementing his book he has a 'Security+ Full access Package' that includes practice exams (including simulation based questions) flash cards, and audio mp3 files to help retain the main concepts.
    Pass the Security+ Exam the First Time You Take It | Get Certified Get Ahead

Aside from that CBT nuggets has a great video course that I highly recommend, I love their videos and I use them as my first line of studying.
    https://www.cbtnuggets.com

There is also the Professor Messer Videos that are free.

Just for clarity you stated,
    What are the preferred books and study resources for Security+ ? How many hours should I study to pass? How difficult is the exam? Please suggest me,folks..

P.S: I am a beginner. Another thing, I appeared for CISA exam but could not clear(got 401). Will my CISA study be helpful in Security+ ?

While Security+ is considered an ENTRY level security certification, I wouldn't walk into this thing blindly. I studied for and passed Network+ a couple days ago. This has tremendously decreased my study time as there is a good amount of overlap between the two. This is just my opinion but if you are a true beginner, why not study and sit for Network+ then tackle Security+? This would truly simplify things and increase your odds of a pass the first time. To give you a rough estimate if you go the Net+ route first plan on 3 weeks for Net+ then another 3-4 for Security+. If you go right to Security+...6-8 weeks maybe? It's not easy to guesstimate not knowing where you actually stand in networking.

Good Luck,

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about your luck with the CISA exam, I myself will attempt that exam in the future, likely after the CISM.

I believe the Security+ will be easier then the CISA, as it covers a bit less. Firstoff, ensure that any material you do purchase is for the 401 exam, the 301 was retired on Jan 1st 2015, so there is likely still some materials floating around out there that are for the previous exam and will not assist you as much.

I used Mike Myer's Passport to Security+ SY0-401 book, but wouldn't truly recommend it to others, I feel it was an alright read, and such, but the included questions and practise exam were horribly lacking compared to the real exam.

I also used Professor Messer's free Security+ videos, and suggest them as a supplement to any reading material you do end up using.

Professor Messer's CompTIA SY0-401 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

Darril writes great books and I'd suggest picking his up :D best of luck in your pursuit of the Security+.
  • Options
    tanvir2220tanvir2220 Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for your helpful suggestion.. :)