642-532 IPS Finally done

determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
After all this time I finally sat down a couple days ago to get this IPS test done. I just got back from the testing center and after 45 minutes I finally passed this damn test. I am glad this is over since this was not my favorite topic. I passed with 953.

The test was the hardest exam I have ever taken. These new Cisco test are actually challenging. Here is what I used to prepare for the test.

-Cisco Press CCSP Self-Study Exam Certification Guide
by Earl Carter

-Cisco Press Intrusion Prevention Fundamentals
by Earl Carter and Jonathan Hogue

-Cisco Press Cisco Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook
by Mynul Hoda

Well 2 down 3 to go....time to start 642-511 CSVPN

Later,

Mike

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The test was the hardest exam I have ever taken.
    Congratulations!

The IDS exam kicked my ass by 5 points..... and I did finally turn around and spank this puppy hard.... but I still haven't gotten over that IDS exam... icon_eek.gif

After this... they should all be easy! icon_lol.gif

The bad news -- there are harder exams...
    The good news -- they aren't CCSP exams! icon_lol.gif

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After the CISSP this June I'm back into the CCSP as well. Just have the PIX and IPS exams to go. Not sure which one to take since I can't afford either piece of hardware right now (PIX515 or IDS4210). Good luck on the VPN exam, and don't forget the old style sims!!! ;)
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Thanks Guys,

Started studying today....HHH I will keep that in mind...thanks for the reminder.....

Mike
    I'm halfway through the CBTNuggets on this exam and it sounds pretty cool! My book should arrive late next week, just about the time I finish the CBT. How much of the exam is on the GUI vs. the CLI?
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    HHH,

I think I had maybe 3 or 4 questions on the CLI......the rest was GUI. Pretty much some questions on the initial setup via CLI other than that just GUI.

The test was kind of weird because it was my first test with those Cisco simlets but I saw that you already went for that Pix exam so no problem there.

Anyway, to get to the book! The guy who wrote the Cisco book is not my favorite author. I re-arranged some of the chapters to make it easier to get through the book. If you have never worked on IPS or IDS before you might also want the IPS Fundamentals book which is pretty good to start out with. It gives you a introduction to the Certification book.

Hope this helps!

Chi-Town baby!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    Cool, thanks for the heads up! I'll get that one as well and read it first.

At least we get a little break from the oppressive heat here in the midwest!! Back up close to 90 for the weekend again!