Solution Architect Scenarios

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
I am thinking of starting a monthly post on my blog called Solution Architect Scenarios or (SAS)... I would take a scenario I have run into like, converting a POTs line to a VOIP system. I would lay out how I did it, what the business value was (since I deal with executives), and pre/post architecture? I am thinking not necessarily in order
  • Pots to VOIP
  • Data Center expansion, Power, Mechanical, Compute
  • Data Center Utilization Rennovation
  • High-Velocity SAN for a Stadium
  • VDI Deployment
  • Multi-System API, DB Integration
  • Security Audit, and Network Adjustment
  • Multi-Product Network design
  • Server Upgrade to Virtualization
  • Product Risk Assessment and VA/PT
What are you all's thoughts? Do any of you find this useful? It'd be great to get people to critique my designs and at the same time educate some folks who maybe don't touch this stuff.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Philz would you use data and system integration as scenario in a future blog?

Sorry to derail your post but I was just curious I really enjoy your system integration knowledge. You offer a lot.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I would love to critique your VoIP designs and hear feedback on why you did it that way. That would be great for everyone to learn from each other.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Philz I would think Risk would be captured higher in the task sequencing. Maybe I am not seeing it right, but that was my first reaction at looking at your post.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    N2IT wrote: »
    Philz would you use data and system integration as scenario in a future blog?

Sorry to derail your post but I was just curious I really enjoy your system integration knowledge. You offer a lot.

Yep, I have several SI's like taking RTLS feeds into SQL/NOSql then matching them with a child/alternate key to BAS data. Pushing this out via a SQL feed to a GeoSpatial apps.

Or building a GPON Network, to DAS, to BYOD, MSE Management. Dynamic DAS switch based on occupancy.

Or Data Center, taking playback from a sports stadium feeding it into SAN 30 SSD 70 Platter 4PB. Feeding via API out to WiFi for in stadium A/V playback to BYOD.

Just a few things
    shodown wrote: »
    I would love to critique your VoIP designs and hear feedback on why you did it that way. That would be great for everyone to learn from each other.

Thanks, appreciate it. A lot of what I see is shifting VoIP to Unified messaging/Collab like Lync
    N2IT wrote: »
    Philz I would think Risk would be captured higher in the task sequencing. Maybe I am not seeing it right, but that was my first reaction at looking at your post.

Yep the list is not in order.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    That is correct. Most of the VoIP projects I do incorporate VoIP, IM, Presence, Conferencing, Video and mobile into 1 suite. I've also done a few mix and match projects where I've done a Cisco VoIP system with M$ lync for conferencing and IM. They all work, but its a matter of figuring out which one is best for a company. My big rule of thumb is that if you make money off your phones then go with someone deep in the phone business such as Cisco, Avaya, Shoretel, Mitel and others. If not so much then you can entertain the other players out there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    That is correct. Most of the VoIP projects I do incorporate VoIP, IM, Presence, Conferencing, Video and mobile into 1 suite. I've also done a few mix and match projects where I've done a Cisco VoIP system with M$ lync for conferencing and IM. They all work, but its a matter of figuring out which one is best for a company. My big rule of thumb is that if you make money off your phones then go with someone deep in the phone business such as Cisco, Avaya, Shoretel, Mitel and others. If not so much then you can entertain the other players out there.

My biggest pain point lately is explaining the custom integration from Lync to CCM, CUM. Customers don't understand why it isn't just plug and play.
  • cbb104cbb104 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wandered in here for first time in a long time...back into network communications world again and working for a company where I'm just starting to sell/implement ShoreTel; any idea if/how there's a way to start a ShoreTel forum here (your reference to it is the only one I've seen so far)...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As you can see there is not much demand for ShoreTel here. Feel free to discuss in the general sections.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.