Options

Is a database mandatory for all desktop appllication?

mypcontact07mypcontact07 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Is it possible to develop sound based language learning desktop application with out using a database?

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Hi all,
    Is it possible to develop sound based language learning desktop application with out using a database?

Ok, so let's break this out.

You have 3-4 types of DB/Storage methods

You can create a temporary cache for your application using page files and the like. Now depending on how you code this will wipe out the second you close the APP. I assume this is a local app and not based on a webserver as that will change your architecture.

Next you can move to a local MS Access DB or the like. This is a low-cost, low-feature DB used mainly for small scale repository.

Moving up you can hit a full MS-SQL, Oracle, MYSql DB option. This will give you greater scale and can be local/external.

Three concerning things about your statement:

1) You don't clarify if the app is local or remote. That makes a massive difference in architecture, data throughput ect, for example a Desktop app that is simply based on a HTML5/JS format that pulls from a WS across a multi-layered LAN is going to be different then a local APP.

2) You mention sound based learning. Now you need to start referencing images and voice files. That changes your DB structure. You now need to think about do I do some hacky code that directly references files in a directory or a data store? How do I capture sessions for playback and state control?

3) You need to consider, what system will the run on. If you build in .net framework it may not play nice with NIX and Apple based on how you convert. There are some freeware .NET conversion frameworks out there.

So you have a lot of research to do before you lay this idea out. I would lay out an Class Diagram, Logical Architecture and DB structure...
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you're going to use plain files to store information, then I suppose your application will have very basic features.
    However, a sound application that includes graphics, pictures and possibly video, definitely will need a database such as MySQL or SQL Server.
  • Options
    Dear nphilz1982, thank u for your fast response.

I got more usefull information and would like to clarify you that the app is local not remote. It is simply accessed from the desktop and users run and get tutorial. The file formats are plain texts, audio, video and gif files.

Thank u for ur support.
  • Options
    Dear ccnpninja, I thank u for ur support.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213

the app is local not remote. It is simply accessed from the desktop and users run and get tutorial. The file formats are plain texts, audio, video and gif files.

I would still consider that remote, if different people will access this from different desktops, you are definitely going to need a central DB, unless you enjoy troubleshooting problems for different desktops.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    discount81 wrote: »
    I would still consider that remote, if different people will access this from different desktops, you are definitely going to need a central DB, unless you enjoy troubleshooting problems for different desktops.

That's not necessarily accurate. He can compile, with a cab file storing all of the associated files, a complete App. He would then shoot this app to the device in an installer package. He then would set some heartbeat code to phone home for updates to a central server that would do versioning and deploy an update. The OP hasn't detailed out the scale of the app. I'd love to see a UML diagram or something similar laying out classes, operations, workflows, Data structure ect.

I think the word APP may be throwing us off as an APP insinuates a lite/thin-client or JS APP with most of the functionality happening on the backend.
  • Options
    So, can I have a deployment diagram if i do it with out database?