Failed 1st Attempt at CISSP

klowe007klowe007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I came up a little short on the CISSP yesterday...680.

Here is my prep, which I can now accurately evaluate after taking the exam:
- Bootcamp:
-- Did a 40-hr bootcamp with New Horizons training center, which in my opinion was way more technical than managerial. Almost none of what was "foot-stomped" appeared on the exam in any form. I realize they can't teach the exam, but think they slightly missed the mark by not emphasizing "concepts" more.
- Bootcamp material:
-- Gibson/Sybex study guide 6th Ed. I don't think it went deep enough...not nearly as good as Shon Harris, ISC2 material and others mentioned here.
-- Boson test engine: Massive test bank, good questions and explanations, but Transcender is way better based on the trial version and this forum. I was required to pass 4 simulation exams scoring 90% or better before they would issue me the included test voucher, which I did. I think this gave me a false sense of security since it was more on the technical side as well.
- Towards the end I used McGraw-Hill Professional - Online book store and www.skillset.com (wish I had used more)

I'm a USAF Sys Admin by trade, have Security+, some older MS certs and UMUC MS in Cybersecurity (technical track). I can't blame the Bootcamp or it's materials because I did come close to passing. But, I found it hard at times to NOT think like a technician vs. a manager. I'll grab some extra tools and reengage in 30 days or so.

Comments

• Kris_gKris_g Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear that - I did a boot camp couple of weeks ago with an ISC2 certified instructor and passed the exam. I evaluated my relative strengths on the 10 domains and went after areas which I thought I was weak in. Good Luck - try to retake the exam asap as the study material will still be fresh.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    You're close. I would suggest a thorough read through or two of Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide followed up with several rounds of his CISSP 11th Hour book, especially right before the exam. I would also get the Shon Harris Review Questions.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Sorry to hear that, klowe. You're so close, I'm sure you will kill it next time.

I'd love to hear of your thoughts/experiences with the UMUC Master of Cyber Security program? I plan on enrolling in that program/school in the fall. I'm also interested in Air Force Reserves and would like to hear your thoughts on the Air Force as well:)....
  • klowe007klowe007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roger that...thanks all. Can't say enough about this forum.
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, klowe. You're so close, I'm sure you will kill it next time.

I'd love to hear of your thoughts/experiences with the UMUC Master of Cyber Security program? I plan on enrolling in that program/school in the fall. I'm also interested in Air Force Reserves and would like to hear your thoughts on the Air Force as well:)....

The UMUC programs are pretty good depending on your current level of experience. There's a lot of writing, one team project per course and a couple labs per course via their VM setup. Everyone in the technical track really liked the labs and wished there were more. The other track is "policy". During the capstone project at the end the 2 tracks come together for a semester-long scenario, which I found challenging but fun. You really have to be self-motivated because the professors are very hands-off. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions.

I was active duty USAF, so don't know a lot about the Reserve side of the house. However, I currently work in the same building with Reservists and would be happy to get you some answers.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    You're close. I would suggest a thorough read through or two of Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide followed up with several rounds of his CISSP 11th Hour book, especially right before the exam. I would also get the Shon Harris Review Questions.

You read my mind...I have both on the way!
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't give up .. give it another try i'm sure you will pass the 2nd time around. Good Luck.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    klowe007 wrote: »
    The UMUC programs are pretty good depending on your current level of experience. There's a lot of writing, one team project per course and a couple labs per course via their VM setup. Everyone in the technical track really liked the labs and wished there were more. The other track is "policy". During the capstone project at the end the 2 tracks come together for a semester-long scenario, which I found challenging but fun. You really have to be self-motivated because the professors are very hands-off. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions.

I was active duty USAF, so don't know a lot about the Reserve side of the house. However, I currently work in the same building with Reservists and would be happy to get you some answers.

Good stuff, man. I would have loved to go active duty, but I make good money and there is no way I could sell the wife on taking such a big pay cut ( nor could I handle the pay cut myself) by leaving this job and going AD in the Air Force. So AF Reserve or Air Guard are my best options for serving my country and keeping my current job at the moment.

As for UMUC, not a whole lot of info about the programs out there from actual students/alumni that I could find. I'm interested in the MS in Cyber Security, but feel I will end of doing policy work down the road, though I'm not interested in the Cyber Security Policy degree. Though if I go Air Force Reserve or Air Guard, Cyber Surety will be my 1st choice. I'm studying for CISSP and am planning on taking the test before they change it on April 15, so I feel your pain when it comes to studying this stuff. I'm having trouble staying focused when reading Conrad's book, it's well written but I just feel like I know this stuff already. Need to jump to the chapters I'm not as familiar with I suppose.
  • zcamerozcamero Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is rough you're really close though. The way they write the questions can be tricky. I couldn't read the book but the questions in the AIO 6th edition were about as close to the real exam I could find. Gook Luck!
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you failed to pass, but there are two good things that come of it, 1) the printout tells you your weaknesses and you can brush up on them and sit it again 2) you know you came close, so next time you're bound to get it :D 3) you now know what sitting the CISSP is like, and may be better prepared next time. (I was parched after sitting it, I think I sweated out most of my fluids :p from being nervous) Also , next time, you know to think more like a manager :D
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    Don't give up! You're so close. When I took it because I had a technical background it was really hard for me to think CIO instead of SA so i scribbled CIO on my desk in pencil.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security