Is RHCSA a good step after CCNA?

anon1993anon1993 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I recently passed my CCNA (960/1000). Now, i'm looking for the next challenge. I have a question regarding the current job market. I am interested in a certification that can get me job quickly in sys admin or any networking field.

What ACCORDING TO YOU should be my next certifcation. What you would have done if you were in my place.

Which certification can get me a job faster? MCSA? RHCSA VMWARE?

My background: I am currently working as help desk support from past 18 months. I don't have any experience in sys/net admin at all.

Please advise.

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hmm - interesting post. There are a few points though - I have no idea what the job market is like in Ontario (I'm in the UK). I would take a look at the job websites and see what is popular at the moment..

Also - what are you interested in? If you've done the CCNA then surely you need to think about the CCNP next? Are you interested in a career in networking purely? Or are you interested in becoming a Systems Administrator? Systems Admin is a good move from helpdesk - and it is a move I've seen a lot of people taken at this forum.

To summise - you can either continue with the Cisco certs and try and get a Cisco related job - or go for some Microsoft and round out your CV for some Sys Admin? So many choices!
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anon1993 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently passed my CCNA (960/1000). Now, i'm looking for the next challenge. I have a question regarding the current job market. I am interested in a certification that can get me job quickly in sys admin or any networking field.

What ACCORDING TO YOU should be my next certifcation. What you would have done if you were in my place.

Which certification can get me a job faster? MCSA? RHCSA VMWARE?

My background: I am currently working as help desk support from past 18 months. I don't have any experience in sys/net admin at all.

Please advise.

MCSA, alot of opportunities for people who know active directory and server set up. Then I would move towards VM ware and linux.
  • LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a great question, one I've been thinking about alot myself.

I personally did CCNA-CCNA Security, and am currently working on my CCNP. I've seen alot of Networking jobs as of recently (in the EU at least) asking for linux skills, especially looking for Perl/Bash scripting, in addition to having a CCNA/CCNP.

If it were me, I'd head for the RHCSA. The Linux skilled jobs I've seen always seem to offer better pay, and linux skills seem to be alot more respected in the field than normal MS, at least in my experience.

Good luck on your decision! :)
  • Gallager00Gallager00 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends what YOU want to do.

Everyone has made a good point so far.

MCSA tend to get you a job the fast and will def help you move towards Sys Admin.
    If you want to go towards linux, then work on RHCSA
    If you want to go towards networking, I would say go for CCNP and learn how to script. Some people might advise you to go "wide" and knock out other CCNA certs(Security/Voice..alphabet soup) but I believe in getting the network foundation down and that is going towards CCNP.

I'm currently going for CCNP and learning how to script so I tend to be a bit biased. :)
    2016 Goals: CCNA Security, CCNA Data Center, VCP6-NV. Mostly focusing on skills rather than certs.
    2016 Completed:
    Currently reading: CCNA Security, programming books