98-349 - Preparation Questions

RBHRBH Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am trying to switch my career to IT. I don't have any IT work experience, and my only experience with computers is using my personal computer at home and fixing little things.

I know that MTA exams normally don't hold much value in the job market, but I believe it is a good step for someone like me who is starting afresh. If I can pass a few MTA exams, it will give me a much needed morale boost.

I am thinking of taking the 98-349 Windows OS exam.

I have spent the last few weeks reading the following books:

MS Windows OS System by Tom Carpenter (Sybex)
Windows OS Fundamentals - Microsoft Official Academic Course.
MTA Student Study Guide

From your experience, do you think that by reading the above materials, I am sufficiently prepared to take the exam?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Yes they will help. I will state this...knowing Windows 7/8 from your own experiences will help as well. If you are able to troubleshoot your own Windows OS issues, you should be OK for this exam.
  • RBHRBH Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response steelodon.

Would appreciate inputs from other members of this forum who have taken this exam. Kindly let me know.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I signed up for the free CBT Nuggets 7 day trial. Watched all the videos. I used the link below as a practice test, only missed 3 out of 50 questions. I then took and passed the exam.

Keep in mind that I have been doing this for a few years. If you are brand new to this you may want to read a book in addition to the videos to get some extra info.

ftp://ftp.certiport.com/Marketing/Mt...thout_Crop.pdf
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • rajrajhansrajrajhans Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes they'll surely help. This one was my first certification. I used these books, along with a Gmetrix and MeasureUP practise tests and passed. Anyways, the exam is pretty easy if you have a hands-on knowledge and you know the 'Microsoft definitions' for their products.