Can someone point me to a Window 8 troubleshooting site?

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I know practically nothing about Windows, and even less about Windows 8. I installed an application today to mount ISO files and things have been screwed up since. I have no icons along the bottom, and although I see my desktop, I keep getting "Windows not responding" whenever I selct the only remaining icon which is the Microsoft Window icon in the lower left.

Comments

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Actually the other item of note is when I originally shut down for the first time today, it applied a Microsoft update.
    I found a way to restore, but I lost all of my applications. things like Firefox weren't a big deal, but I had VM Workstation and lost all of my machines. Chalk that up to a learning experience. I don't know if it was the MS update or the application I installed..
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why did you need to install an application to mount ISO files?
    Is there a way to extract files without an application? I an working on VM Workstation doing a lab and it wanted the files extracted.

I have a new issue, it won't power up VMs that used to work. It is complaining I have the wrong version of a file. I am in the process of applying the upgrades again now. Hopefully it won't break the box again.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't believe there's native support to extract the files from the ISO image. IMO, SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive is the best free ISO mounter there is for Windows.
    OK, thank you. I am used to working with Linux or Unix that allows me to mount an ISO manually. I will look for the program. Thanks.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using windows 8
    I just double click on an iso and it is mounted as a DVD, no extra applications are needed.
    I tried Debian, Centos, Technet andvisual studio, they are all mounted as Microsoft Virtual DVD-ROM.

As a note, I have Hyper-V enabled.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welp! There's your answer. Mind you, I'm a Windows 7 user, so I apologize if I was wrong. It's about time Microsoft finally include the native support!

You'd have to right-click the ISO file > Properties > click "Change" under the "General" tab > click on "Windows Explorer" > OK.

I got the answer straight from this link.
    Thank you WD40. Worked like a charm.