suggestions on next step

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I just passed my Security+ exam yesterday and my plan is to focus on getting into the InfoSec field. What do you guys recommend as the next exam to pursue? I am thinking either CEH or SSCP. I would like something that picks up where Sec+ left off and is a smooth transition, but whatever you pros recommend is good with me.

Comments

• bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would thing SSCP then CEH would be the best path. I looked into the SSCP about three months ago, and thought it would be a good add along with CEH. But priorities at work changed and MCSE is calling. Also seems that SSCP has a lot of Security+ bleed over, so it maybe easier to knock that one out before CEH.

Hope this helps?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I went Sec+ then CEH, then started getting calls from recruiters. It's not useful in a lot of places but in the .gov CEH is required for a lot of roles. SSCP and Sec+ are on the same level in the 8570 chart.
  • octobersveryownoctobersveryown Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also in a similar predicament, however I'm planning on skipping the Sec+ and Net+ exams and take the CCNA:R&S and CCNA:Security instead. hopefully there will be more answers and both of us will get some guidance :)
  • awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @octobersveryown: I found that getting Security+ has made studying for CCNA:Security a lot easier. It covers a lot of the infosec theory that pops up in CCNA:S.

@Techguru365: The security realm is quite expansive. It would help if you could give an idea of what you want to be doing such as pen testing, auditing, DR/Business continuity, network/systems hardening, etc. The certification paths become more specialized at the level you want to get to.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about CASP? Or CISA or GIAC certs? CEH is good for HR but - from what I've heard - the difficulty is about the same level as Security+. For me, I'd try to study something new instead of the same material just for personal growth but helping you get a job is important too.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • octobersveryownoctobersveryown Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @awitt11 please note that I said I'm only skipping the Security+ exam. I'm doing the coursework material for Security+, Network+ AND Linux+ to intimately familiarize myself with concepts. I will then be moving onto CCNA:R&S and CCNA:Security doing the coursework and sitting the exams for it

in fact I made a thread for guidance as well, where you can find more information

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/107789-am-i-going-down-right-path.html
  • seltaebseltaeb Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    why dont you consider GIAC course and exam?