Michael Jangs's Practice Exams

I purchased the Michael Jang book on RHEL 6 some time ago. I also purchased the Pratice Exams book. In it there are pre-packaged virtual machines. I am trying to bring up the first one, 'Gamma'. I think I followed the directions, it starts to boot, I briefly see, 'Scientific Linux', then nothing. Is there going to be a problem with me running this inside a VMware CenTOS machine? I have another laptop that I could load CenTOS directly on and try that.

Comments

• ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

I'm not entirely sure I understood what you are trying to do.

are you trying to run the vm files using a VMware guest machine ? in that case you would need to verify if you can run nested vms.

however, from my familiarity with the Michael Jang RHEL6 labs, you really don't need the scientific linux vms, you can simply install or use CentOS and follow the practice questions. its not worth the time waste over it, especially when red hat is about to change the RHCSA/RHCE exam to RHEL7 in just a short while.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Thank you. I have no plans on taking RHEL 7, I will sign up for RHEL 6 and take that.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Expect wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not entirely sure I understood what you are trying to do.

are you trying to run the vm files using a VMware guest machine ? in that case you would need to verify if you can run nested vms.

however, from my familiarity with the Michael Jang RHEL6 labs, you really don't need the scientific linux vms, you can simply install or use CentOS and follow the practice questions. its not worth the time waste over it, especially when red hat is about to change the RHCSA/RHCE exam to RHEL7 in just a short while.

I see you have the RHCE. What's your reason for advising us to move to RHEL 7 since it's not currently in production yet? It's not that I'm trying to grill you, but I want to hear from the opposing viewpoint as I'm also considering taking version 7 exam as I have no real working experience with Linux administration. By the time I gain my first experience, I figure RHEL 7 would have been rolled out in production, and this cert can come in handy for migration.
    @hiddenknight821

the reason is that Red Hat is soon to change the exam format to use RHEL7, and if you had RHCSA in RHEL6, then you would be forced to take the RHCSA exam in RHEL7 before you can proceed to the RHCE.

it's not a matter of choice for the exam taker as far as I know, once Red Hat change the exam platform to RHEL7, then you're forced to take it using RHEL7...
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    RHEL7 is GA, meaning production-ready.

RHEL7 is the official exam format if you request a RHCE course. (You must specifically request a RHEL6 course in order to get that, and they're being phased out on a schedule)
    @Expect. I don't believe that is right. You have until February 28th to sign up for RHEL 6. If nothing else you can sign up for RHCSA and RHCE at the same time. You have a year to take them.
    if that is the case then I'd stick to RHEL6, I have not had the opportunity to take my exam close to a new major release date so that wasn't the case for me back then.
    if I were you, then I would pick RHEL6 over RHEL7.
    Actually right now I am concentrating on VMware, NetApps, and EMC. I don't have a real desire to get a certification in them, just be able to support them at work, though I did take the Stanly class on VMware. I also took a Netapp's class through work. We have one EMC product, but most of my day revolves around helping people with Linux issues. Occasionally I might create a volume for someone on the Netapps, but nearly 100% of my time is Linux, mainly Red Hat 5 and 6, and a tiny bit on our Cray XE6M.