Day of, and after you hit "GO"

fredefrede Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is you technique for test day? Do you do a big review, quick review, no review at all?

How about after you hit go? Do you go thru quickly anwsering the obvious, or tackle each one in order? Do you mark and go back only to those marked, or review all your answers.

Thanks to all
Fred

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My "day before" study is not much different than my normal study. Maybe a little less intense, trying mostly to relax and not worry. Might review or skim my notes, but definately no cramming or "hitting my weak points". If I have too many weak points the week before, that's when I hit those hard.

When I hit "go", I do my best on every question moving quickly and try not to second guess myself. I tend to mark several for review, but only review each one at the end for a second or two - just in case. I might change 1-2 answers out of 10-12 marked.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm mostly the same. When I did my 70-290, the day before I studied for about 30 minutes that entire day. The day I did my exam, I just went over a few things such as version differences and ntbackup switches (I spent maybe 20 minutes). I didn't mark any of my questions for review, just took my time on each question. When I hit the last question, I hit submit, waited about 1 minute while my heart was pounding like crazy, and saw that I passed (woot). Walked out of the room to grab my score sheet to find out that I scored a 940!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I like to take my exams in the morning, when my brain is working properly. I don't do any studying or reviewing on the day, I typically just do whatever while I eat and get ready to go. I make sure I eat sugary stuff on that day. And some chocolate. And tons of orange juice (vitamin C, it makes you awake or alert, something like that). Heard somewhere that you should eat candy while you sit the exam, because the concentration or whatever depletes something in your body which is necessary for something concentration-related (yeah, I can't be more specific). Oh, and I try to get a good sleep, like give myself an extra hour in the morning. I don't listen to music or read or anything as I go to the place, so as to leave my mind kinda fresh. Huh, didn't think I did so much. icon_eek.gif Well it's just me rambling on that makes it look like alot. To me anyway.

Once I hit the Go (I don't think it's "Go") button, I focus on each question as it comes. If after spending awhile on a certain question and still not sure, I choose an answer and mark the question. At the end, I go over the marked questions and rarely change anything. After all, I went with what looked best and it usually still looks best when I look at it later. Or I can't be bothered to read through the whole question again. Either way.
    witty comment
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The brain operates on glucose, the most simple sugar. The body can convert fat or protein to sugar, but that takes time. So eating carbs before/during a test is good. Dark chocolate is also supposed to help, and not just because of the sugar.

Smell can help too. What you smell during studies will help during test time. We joked in CCNA class about not showering or passing gas.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I'm much the same as every one else. I only "mark" questions that I am unsure on. If I am happy with an answer I see no point in going over it again. If the sim's seem hard or take more that a couple of minutes, I will mark them and complete all the normal questions first. That way I know how long to allocate to each sim and wont run out of time.

I have a check list of points that I review for 20mins prior to the exam just with command switch's etc. I figure If you dont know the stuff by then you wont remember it in the exam.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    frede wrote:
    What is you technique for test day? Do you do a big review, quick review, no review at all?
    I usually take off from study the day before an exam. Rest and relaxation is very important, especially after cramming for days. I get a good night's sleep the night before. I will think over what I have studied, but I don't study the day of the exam. I don't think you will learn anything that will change the outcome, and you may actually cause doubts or confusion at a bad time.

I think the scheduling of the exam is very important. I'm not a morning person so I usually schedule it for late morning. That way I can take my time getting ready, and I still have time for coffee and a snack before I start.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't schedule the exam until I feel I'm ready. No cramming, I don't even pick up a book the night before or the morning of the exam. Then again I don't take exams that aren't relevant to my experience. Sure there are going to be areas where I'm weaker, I just hit those area harder in the lab during my study. But come exam time I know the material. It's too expensive to do otherwise :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I usually try to "cram" for the week leading up to the test, making sure I've covered everything at least once, and gone over the areas I'm weak on. The night before, I'll lazily thumb through the book, sitting in a coffee shop or bookstore with a cup of coffee in my hand. And, finally, the morning of the test, I try not to obsess or dwell, no "last-minute" reading, just go in there. I take the Captain Picard approach: "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we are."

The last night before the test and the morning of, I try to just relax. If I've studied, I'll know the material. If I haven't studied, then cramming for a night or a morning isn't going to do me much good, anyway.

(Oh, and I drink. But only to excess.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Slowhand wrote:
    I take the Captain Picard approach: "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we are."

The weekend before 293 or 294 (can't remember which), I had heard a dramatization of the book of Ester, in which Ester was caught between a rock and a hard place, in a fatal situation. Her comment: I'll go. If I perish, I perish." I requently took that stance on several questions that I was unsure of. Did well.
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    There is no shame in making an educated guess! I've done the same before as well.

I study pretty steady all the way up to the exam, a little harder in the last week. I study during the morning of (my boss even reserves a meeting room for me) and enjoy a coffee and light breakfast, and I always write around 11:00 or so.

We have an ISO audit coming up end-of-month, then it's off to the races for 293.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003