Options

Is MCSA the lowest cert nowadays?

creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
Back in nineteen-diggety-nine, when I was but a wee lad, aspriring IT-nerds were able to get an MCP or an MCTS for completing an exam on the road to MCSA/MCSE. Is this no longer possible?

I.E. is there no certificate awarded for completing 70-410 or 70-411?

/creamy
Itchy... Tasty!
[X] DCICN
[X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
[ ] DCICT

Comments

• Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back in nineteen-diggety-nine, when I was but a wee lad, aspriring IT-nerds were able to get an MCP or an MCTS for completing an exam on the road to MCSA/MCSE. Is this no longer possible?

/creamy

For completing a (ONE) MS exam you get the MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) title. I think MS wanted to reward those that pass at least one exam with that title to encourage progression.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MTA exams are the lowest level of Microsoft exams.
    You do get MCP status for completing one exam MTA exam.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MTA isn't MCP according to https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mta-certification.aspx but passing any of the MCSA tests is MCP.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You were until recently able to get the MCTS for passing win7 exam 70-680. They recently took that away and now you need two exams to get the MCSA.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am pretty sure any exam with the 7x prefix is a professional exam, so those are what you'd need to pass to get "Microsoft Certified Professional". MTA exams start with 98 I think...so you wouldn't get MCP, but you would get MTA (I think that would be the "lowest cert")
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□

/creamy

I believe there are lower credentials than MCSA, even passing one of the exams in the scheme accredits you with an MCP but anyone who knows MS exams well will look right over MCPs for jobs etc. Ideally for a good MS Server role you’ll need an MCSE. Even an MCSE 2003 + MCSA 2008/2012 is a good stack.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You do get MCP status for passing any MTA. I got my MCP originally for passing the MCDST on XP, but I got another (renewed?) MCP when I got my MTA recently. Next up i'm going for the MCSA 2012 R2 cert.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft needs to fix their certification documentation then because it clearly states MTA isn't MCP on their site.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)