What Kind Of Job Could I Get With Linux+ In Canada?

ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

I have my A+ and I couldn't find a job. I didn't try super hard to find a job; because, every job advertisement seems to demand much more than the A+. But I did apply 20-30 times and I got nowhere.

I was thinking of doing the Network+ or MOS next, but what if I just skipped Microshaft all together and just went after the Linux+? What kind of job could I get with just the Linux+?

Thanks

Comments

• H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do you have a degree? where abouts in Canada are you located, a major city/area (Toronto/GTA?) or out in a blue collar or farming area of Canada? Use indeed.com or eluta to search for linux+ and see if any positions are looking for it, and if they're looking for anything more. Use that to gauge what types of roles you could pursue.
  • ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a good start. I'll try that.

A degree? No.
    I'm 38 years old and I'm sinking down due to rising costs of living. Time is of the essence. I need a better job and I need it ASAP.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think linux+ will help much getting your first it job. Linux is almost server exclusive in the corporate world and those are mid-high level positions. Desktop MCP would probably help the most for certs but working on a degree might help the most. 1 year of generals at a cc then less than 2 years at wgu and you'd have a bs for less than $10000.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    do you have a degree? where abouts in Canada are you located, a major city/area (Toronto/GTA?) or out in a blue collar or farming area of Canada? Use indeed.com or eluta to search for linux+ and see if any positions are looking for it, and if they're looking for anything more. Use that to gauge what types of roles you could pursue.

x2

Hard to say what you can get in a specific area so best to look yourself and check it out. You never know, there may be a small business that has Linux for their end-users and they need a desktop support guy for that.

But if you're just looking for a cert to get you a job, I'd probably recommend another cert. If you want to go networking, go for your CCENT and/or CCNA. Cisco certs are likely to open more doors into a NOC job.

Have you had anyone critique your resume? Could be part of the issue. But you said you weren't trying very hard so that may be the issue too.