Hot Site Question

dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Gang,

I'm now studying for CISM but ive posted this question here as the CISSP forum is more active and this question also relates to CISSP BCP/DR domain.

Which of the following terms and conditions represent a significant deficiency if included in a commercial hot site contract?

A. A hot site facility will be shared in multiple disaster declarations

B. All equipment is provided “at time of disaster, not on floor”

C. The facility is subject to a “first-come, first-served” policy

D. Equipment may be substituted with equivalent models

I chose (A) as my thinking was capacity can be an issue if the site is shared in multiple disaster. Initially, i was tempted to (C). Only to be shocked that the correct answer is (B). while studying for CISSP i read many times that if a site doesn't have the equipment ready then its not really a HOT site. Can an expert correct my thinking if i'm wrong?

ISACA's Explanation of the "correct" answer: Equipment provided “at time of disaster (ATOD), not on floor” means that the equipment is not available but will be acquired by the commercial hot site provider on a best effort basis. This leaves the customer at the mercy of the marketplace. If equipment is not immediately available, the recovery will be delayed. Many commercial providers do require sharing facilities in cases where there are multiple simultaneous declarations, and that priority may be established on a first-come, first-served basis. It is also common for the provider to substitute equivalent or better equipment, as they are frequently upgrading and changing equipment.

Comments

• mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    I would agree with B.
    By definition, a hot site is supposed to have the equipment on the floor and ready to go with the exception of the latest data.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A says the hot site is ready to take on many disaster situations. C still is ready to go on a first come basis.

B hurts the idea the most because it is simply not ready to go in a time of need, the biggest factor for a hot site.
  • Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely B, and if multiple choice my persona opinion would be to flag C as well though it doesn't really disqualify the site as HOT. I hate it when a question includes multiple "OK" choices, but only 1 is correct. :) But that's how they help ensure you know your stuff.

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "(B). while studying for CISSP i read many times that if a site doesn't have the equipment ready then its not really a HOT site. Can an expert correct my thinking if i'm wrong?"

You hit it right there. The hot site not being ready to go is a deficiency.