Options

A+ OS concerns

marc1234marc1234 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just passed the A+ core test, now am working on the OS side. I have a question about how much 98/ME is on the test. I feel competent with XP and 2000 (I’ve passed the 70-270) but it has been years since I have messed with FAT based OS’s.

I though I would see if anyone else felt that same way? And what did they do to relearn the classic windows. I am considering removing XP off of my machine at home and putting 98 or ME or maybe both on my home pc and get re-introduced. What has worked for other people?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    A+ OS from what I remember was heavily on DOS/Win98/ME.

I had lots of questions on autoexec, DLL, sys, and io.
    It's a different kind of questions compared to 70-270 (I havent done 70-270, but I've done 70-271, and is working on 70-272).

What book are you using? I found Sybex Flashcards really helped. The practice exam on this site is also really helpful.

Cheers,
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    marcread wrote:
    I have just passed the A+ core test, now am working on the OS side. I have a question about how much 98/ME is on the test. I feel competent with XP and 2000 (I’ve passed the 70-270) but it has been years since I have messed with FAT based OS’s.

I though I would see if anyone else felt that same way? And what did they do to relearn the classic windows. I am considering removing XP off of my machine at home and putting 98 or ME or maybe both on my home pc and get re-introduced. What has worked for other people?

You may try Vitrual PC or VMWare and allow yourself the luxury of trying the various OSs on the PC you have (provided you have a semi-current PC).

Review the objectives CompTIA has on A+. As far as will you see it on your particular exam? Maybe, maybe not. You may have 1 question you could have 10 or 20.

Certainly, I would suggestion reviewing the OS hands-on if you have the means.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think you need to install win98.

I would recommend the CramSession PDF that you can download for free from their website (only make sure you give them a fake adress as they will spam you like crazy)
    also the training questions from the techexams is very good, it really helped me to prepare my exam.

btw, the girl at the exam center told me that many people fail this exam...
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    The girl at my exam center is super-hot, I think that gives me more motivation to pass! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    The girl at my exam center is super-hot, I think that gives me more motivation to pass! icon_lol.gif

Where is your testing center??? The girls where I go, well, they don't exist...there are only guys that work at this one! Sucks to be me!!!

As for the previous post, isn't it such a good confidence boost when the girl that works there tells you how many people fail instead of how many pass? She could lie, women are good for that! She's just not right! :P
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Well, that depends. If you failed, it helps to know you're not the oddball.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Danman32 wrote:
    Well, that depends. If you failed, it helps to know you're not the oddball.

True, it's good to know you are not alone, but did she make her comment before or after he took the exam? If you are just signing up and she tells you, "We have so many that fail this exam", then that's not good. If you just failed and she tells you that, then she is very good at her job in making you feel better and want to try again...It all depends on when she makes her comments... icon_wink.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    marc1234marc1234 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have some older P2 and P3 comptuers laying around so i thought i would try installing some classic windows on them. Had some driver issues, so i'm goint witht he Virtual PC route. That worked failrly well except my workstation sorta run's like crap when it's running, but it runs good enough to go in and tinker.

This whole process reminded why i started looking at Linux. As for books i have been using mike myers A+ guide to managing and troubleshooting PC's. I had gotten it when i was going to school. it is pretty good for hardware not sure what my opinion is for software protion yet. there are a good 100 pages on windows alone, and each chapter a seciton about installing divers. The place i work at has some A+ books i thought i might take one home and study it.

I will not take the test unless i am confident i will pass. usualy when i score 90% or better on pretests. I'm scoring about 70% on a couple so i gotta keep to the books for a while and tinker.

so where are you guys takeing your tests. every test i've take has been by 60 year old men or 300lb women. not my thing
  • Options
    marcread wrote:
    so where are you guys takeing your tests. every test i've take has been by 60 year old men or 300lb women. not my thing

The place I go to is usually dead, well I always do my exams at night when it's drop-in time. The manager is pretty old...45 perhaps?..and there's an average looking lady that answers phone calls.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The manager is pretty old...45 perhaps?

Gee, thanks! I guess I am just plain old then, as I am not far behind this manager you speak of.
  • Options
    TcatTcat Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I admit I don't have the time to scour the forum here like I would like to...

And does everyone realize CompTIA did a "slipstream" of A+ tests, including the cut score and # of questions? I think it is 100 questions now.
    Save A Frog! Join the ETA!
    http://snipurl.com/SaveAFrog
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    The manager is pretty old...45 perhaps?

Gee, thanks! I guess I am just plain old then, as I am not far behind this manager you speak of.

LOL.....sorry...sorry...
    I dont mean it that way.....considering I'm 20...he would be 'pretty' old....

of course at 45, being a manager at an IT training centre, isn't too old at all.

cheers~!