CCIE Lab ip addressing

kwftidekwftide Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Not to violate NDA, but can someone tell me if the ip addresses are pre-configured in the lab?

Doing the 8-hour practice labs, all the addressing must be performed. It's not a hard thing and I don't want to complain. It is time consuming though and it would be nice if the lab had the addressing done for us.

Can anyone speak about this?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kwftide wrote:
    Not to violate NDA, but can someone tell me if the ip addresses are pre-configured in the lab?

Doing the 8-hour practice labs, all the addressing must be performed. It's not a hard thing and I don't want to complain. It is time consuming though and it would be nice if the lab had the addressing done for us.

Can anyone speak about this?
    Most of the current workbooks have initial configurations that can be downloaded -- and include the basic IP addressing if it isn't part of a graded task.

Which 8 hour labs are you doing that make you do the addressing (so I can avoid them)? The Security Lab starts with the PIX/IDS/Concentrator unconfigured (according to an Ask thee Expert answer on the Cisco discussion boards).

After the change from a 2 day lab to a 1 day lab, a lot of the grunt work like cabling and the basic IP addressing was removed from the lab. The troubleshooting section, where they would break something in your configuration, has also been removed -- the only troubleshooting you do is for stuff you mess up and can't get working. I scanned the old announcements on the Cisco site, but couldn't find the old press release for the R&S Lab changes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kwftidekwftide Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm referring to the R&S lab.

I was incorrect about my vendor's workbook (IPexpert). Some labs do have initial configs with the ip addressing. Many labs don't have those "pre-configs" though.

As a followup, are the VLANs pre-configured and the switchports placed into those VLANs?

Again, I am not trying to **** or cause anyone to violate the NDA. I just want to be fully informed about what I will be facing on lab day.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kwftide wrote:
    As a followup, are the VLANs pre-configured and the switchports placed into those VLANs?

Again, I am not trying to **** or cause anyone to violate the NDA. I just want to be fully informed about what I will be facing on lab day.
    I haven't done the lab yet.... so I can take as many wild guesses about what I think is on the lab exam... icon_lol.gif

The VLANS and switch configurations --- sounds like a task covered under the 3550 topics (soon to be the 3560 topics in Nov 2006) of the lab blueprint. My wild guess here is that this is part of the lab exam and I would expect to spend the time (after reading the lab exam a couple of times) to configure the VLANs on the Switches (and router trunks, if any).

I'd guess there could be some router interfaces without IP addresses in a lab exam -- where you might have to select appropriate available addresses to work with the existing addresses.

I'll be starting the Internetwork expert Core Labs in a week or two after I finish the CCVP exams.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    some are .... some aren't
    rm -rf /
  • kwftidekwftide Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, the vlans will proabably have to be configured by us. It's easy but I worry about taking valuable time with that sort of task.

As for the ip addressing, I suppose they could leave off the Loopbacks and just give a scheme to follow. The workbook does that and they are probably mimicking the lab environment.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    kwftide wrote:
    Yeah, the vlans will proabably have to be configured by us. It's easy but I worry about taking valuable time with that sort of task.
    Anything that you need to do will have points associated with it so it should not be considered wasting time.

You may have all your addressing handed to you or not. If you are given the addressing, rest assured that the exam will have some other task(s) that will take that time, and that task may not be as easy as addressing.