SWITCH (300-115) Passed, Now a CCNP

theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
I passed with an 860. I had one sim where I made a typo in a command and it wouldn't let me run the no version to remove the bad command and re entering the command correctly resulted in both showing in the config. I suspect I lost some points because of that, especially since that was the one topic on the results that I didn't do very well on. I made sure to add a comment to let Cisco know my displeasure. In the end, I still passed.
R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
Security: CCNA [ ]
Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]

Comments

• plonkermongplonkermong Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats sir! What did you use to study? Few more q's for ya:

1) How were you doing timewise? Were you comfortable or rushing through the questions by the end?

2) Did you feel like there were any topics on the exam that were not listed on the blueprint or written in the book?

3) Any tips for me now that you have seen the q's and completed it!

All the best,
    plonk
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) How were you doing timewise? Were you comfortable or rushing through the questions by the end?

Time wasn't a problem (I finished with ~20-30 minutes left). I had a couple of Sims that took a while (longer than those on ROUTE), but I made up time with the multiple choice questions. Of course, time will depend on how well you know the material and how long you spend on questions where you don't know the answer.
    2) Did you feel like there were any topics on the exam that were not listed on the blueprint or written in the book?

You should probably look a little further into Stackwise and related technologies than the OCG goes. You don't have to configure it (per the exam topics), but you should know what it does, how it works, etc...Fortunately, I was able to make educated guesses based on other things I had read or just eliminating obvious bad answers. As for what to study, I obviously can't say what was or wasn't on my test (outside of what is listed on the exam topics), but the OCG covered all the topics I ran into.

Cisco StackWise and StackWise Plus Technology - Cisco
    Catalyst 3750 Switch Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.0(2)SE and Later - Cisco
    Catalyst 3750 Switch Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.0(2)SE and Later - Managing Switch Stacks [Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches] - Cisco
    3) Any tips for me now that you have seen the q's and completed it!

I felt the OCG was a pretty good resource. Aside from a few questions, it covered pretty much everything I needed to know. For Sims, they don't necessarily come out and say configure X on Y. They might just specify some requirements and/or tell you what you can't do (you have to do this without changing X or Y) and you have to know or determine what technology to use and where to use it in order to meet those requirements.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • plonkermongplonkermong Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for your response! I'll look deeper into stackwise.

Congrats on the CCNP, well deserved
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!
  • BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mr. CCNP!
  • roberthockroberthock Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    CCNP: Switch [X] Route [ ] Tshoot [ ]
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Congratulations!!!
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations with the pass.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I made a type in ROUTE and couldn't fix it. The console just wouldn't let me. I got so flustered because I knew I just lost points for a stupid mistake. Glad you left them a note, because they really should fix that bug. Under time pressure in an exam, one is bound to make mistakes. You shouldn't be punished for that, and should be able to go back and fix it.

Congrats on the pass!!! It feels good doesn't it!! icon_cool.gif
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! CCNP is a great accomplishment!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats man!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats! That is a Cert I am pursuing this year as well.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Good to know the new OCG book covers things well. I just recieved it last Thursday and will be cracking it open today.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • roberthockroberthock Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Good to know the new OCG book covers things well. I just recieved it last Thursday and will be cracking it open today.

Daniel, I got my OCG for the new exam on Tuesday and I am about half way through it and I do have to say, it is much better than the old OCG. I am hoping to finish it up this week so I can be in review mode. I scheduled my 300-115 exam for the 26th. Time to nail it! :D
    CCNP: Switch [X] Route [ ] Tshoot [ ]
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    roberthock wrote: »
    Daniel, I got my OCG for the new exam on Tuesday and I am about half way through it and I do have to say, it is much better than the old OCG. I am hoping to finish it up this week so I can be in review mode. I scheduled my 300-115 exam for the 26th. Time to nail it! :D

Nice. I've skimmed through it but plan on knocking out a few chapters today. I am sure the read will be rather quick for me considering the amount of study I have already put into switch. I am waiting till April for my test though as I have a global knowledge class on the new exam as well in March.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi