Does anyone pass the exam without the experience?

mlc111mlc111 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am just wondering, does any of you or know someone passed either the SSCP or the CISSP before they have the year or 5 years of experience. Or perhaps it is rather impossible.

Comments

• Sscp1986Sscp1986 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mlc111,

Yes i passed the SSCP without much security experience!
    2015: CISSP[Working on it]
  • TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's possible, given you are good at Information Security and can think like a manager. I've seen some reviews, where people managed to pass, even when they lacked experience.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • lolo974lolo974 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed with less than one year of experience.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lolo974 wrote: »
    I passed with less than one year of experience.

how long did you study for it?
  • TB8367TB8367 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eddo1 wrote: »
    how long did you study for it?
    How long and what did you use to study for it? This is the exact information I wanted to know when I made my account today.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everybody is different, I have experience and study for 10 month, others in a couple of month
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mlc111 wrote: »
    I am just wondering, does any of you or know someone passed either the SSCP or the CISSP before they have the year or 5 years of experience. Or perhaps it is rather impossible.

I personally would not suggest going into this exam if you have less than a year of experience in IT security. Just like the books, the notes and the different sources you use during your preparation for the exam, experience is a resource also that is very valuable going into the exam. Learning only the concepts and the definitions wont help you pass the exam. You need to be able to interpret the different scenarios and situations you will be presented. Plus, the other thing is, that even if you pass you will become and associate only and then you will have to work in IT to get the experience to become fully certifed.
  • Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well... I may or may not have 5 years of specific domain experience. Still need to sift through my resume, and expect will need another year or two domain specific experience. That said I've been in IT since 2000.

My actual study time... 2-3 months as time permitted during off time mostly at the office (fully supported by my boss).
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Matt2 wrote: »
    Well... I may or may not have 5 years of specific domain experience. Still need to sift through my resume, and expect will need another year or two domain specific experience. That said I've been in IT since 2000.

My actual study time... 2-3 months as time permitted during off time mostly at the office (fully supported by my boss).

You dont need 4-5 years of experience in all the domains, you just need an overall 4-5 years of experience in at least 2 of the domains. If you have a 4 year college degree in IT or similar degree that would take off 1 year from the requirements.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have other certifications you can take a year off. It is either the education or the cert. You only get the one year off in either case.

Most people I know who do not have the experience did have a Masters in Infosec which helped them with the domains.

Good Luck!!!
  • Realist2001Realist2001 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed with very little experience in ITSec. My past jobs had security within them though. I studied hard for a good year before taking the test
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The SSCP is specifically targeted at people just out of college with 1-2 years of IT experience in one SSCP domain. If you already have an IT job while in college then you will probably be ready to take the SSCP exam before you graduate. The CISSP requires much more InfoSec experiential knowledge to pass.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mlc111 wrote: »

Wait! Haven't we meet? Yes, I have meet brainiac types that admit to have passed the CISSP and "made something up" later to get an endorsement. Why am I asking so many questions? Writing what down? Oh never mind. LOL.

The people who **** the endorsement process **** those professionals who worked hard and certified the right way in the first place. It cheapens the certificate and those who did the real work to obtain it in the first place. Then again where there is a buck in it - people will ****. Now, about that audit coming your way.

- beads
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SSCP isn't that bad. It's like most say when it's Security+ on steroids. Took about 2 months in total. Then another 5 weeks for endorsement.