Can I get MCSE & MCDBA with the same seven tests?

cgraciacgracia Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been doing some reading on Microsoft's web site, but I wasn't sure if the following combination will get me both an MCSE and MCDBA

70-210
70-215 (MCDBA)
70-216 (MCDBA)
70-217
70-220
70-228 (MCDBA)
70-229 (MCDBA)

I know taking and passing all seven will get me the MCSE, however if I take 70-228 and 70-229 and pass them as well for electives, will I get the MCDBA as well? Or will I have to take those others tests to get that (which if I do, I won't bother). My whole thing was to follow a route that can kill two birds with one stone to get two certs with one swoop. Reason I am focusing on SQL is because I administer Magic Help Desk (which is SQL 2000 dependent for those who may not know) and I am an infrastructure backup for PeopleSoft (which in our environment is also using SQL Server 2000 databases.) So I picked up a SQL Server 2000 System Administration 2nd Edition book from MS Press as well as SQL Server 2000 Administrator's Companion. (From MS Press also). I got a copy of SQL 2000 enterprise, and books online, but right now I want to back up a bit and start from 70-210 and then 70-215 (figure I better start easy). Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    by doing those exams yes you would get mcse and mcdba
    or you could replace 70-210 with 70-270 and still end up with mcse and mcdba
  • cgraciacgracia Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response....

I made a personal decision to not take any XP exams at this time since I'm still in a hybrid NT/2000 environment with a tiny amount of XP boxes on the floor (which really belong to IT directors and a colleague). I had the choice to get 2000 or XP and wanted 2000 because I've been dealing with it for three+ years. XP I will deal with when I'm done with getting my cert(s). Plus it's also my opinion that 2000 will be with us for at least (minimum) 2 years. Of course by that time a new OS will come out right when we're upgrading to XP. LOL.

As funny as that is, I know the reality of organizations not wanting to jump right into a new OS environment. It takes time for people to know/learn it and then planning. Hopefully Microsoft will understand that one day.
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    very true i think im gunna take that route too, hey im goin for MCSA first tho with the first few then onto get both the MCSE and the MCDBA so i have the hole lot. If i do the exams listed there will i have MCSA in addition to the other 2?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
    seth, you'll need to add 70-218 to that list to get the MCSA aswell
    gonna do the following jrowe

210 215 216 217 218 219 228 229 for the three and one more 081 for exchange server to get the experience

that covers all three certs doesnt it?
    plus the extra exchange 5.5 exam for experience nothing else?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Exchange 5.5? That one is retired since 30 June this year... you can't take it anymore...

You could go for Exchange 2000 instead, if you take the admin and the design exam, you'll get an extra cert: icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/Traincert/mcp/mcse/messaging/windows2000.asp
    what extra cert? Ill go fo rthe exchange 2000 then im so confused with the exams, i want to get all three MCSA MCSE and MCDBA i think i need 7 or 8 exams and i would want one of them to be the exchange 2000 is it possible?

whats the minimum i can do the above in? ANd which order should i take them in to make it easier for myself? arrghhh head hurts to confusing icon_sad.gif
    Why would you want to take the MCSA 70-218 exam if you are going for MCSE anyway?

Without the 218 exam I'd say: 210 - 215 - 217 - 219 - 216 - 228 - 229 for MCSE and MCDBA
    if you definetly want the MCSA aswell then just stick the 218 in after 215 and then for exchange 2k stick 224 on at the end
    better to have both isnt it? SO if i want to stop after MCSA or decide to go onto MCSE i have the option. MCSA and MCSE are seperate arent they? Does Having MCSE mean you have MCSA? It doesnt does it icon_confused.gif
    Does Having MCSE mean you have MCSA? It doesnt does it

No it doesn't... it means you 'have' much more... Having both is only useful if you apply for a job at a company that doesn't have a clue about the differences (perhaps better: similarities) between MCSA and MCSE.... there might be plenty of those, but if you a certain of completing the MCSE track with the exams you mentioned above MCSA is a waste of time and money. There is absolutely nothing in the MCSA exam that is not covered in the 4 core MCSE exams. The MCSA exam is invented for those that do not want to complete the entire track.
    ok ill do that then ta :D