Options

New cisco 5506

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
Heard a rumor from a source that the new ASA 5506 will be released soon. You can check out this thread on it below. Depending on how things go with a few projects of mine over the next month or so I may do a demo on one to replace my 5505.

https://communities.cisco.com/message/173467
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's an X Series. Other than possibly being smaller form factor like the 5505 it should be similar to the 5512-X and above. I'm probably going to get one the second they are available. I need to replace my 5505 as well and I want the FirePower components for the home pen testing lab.

There is an ASA with FirePower demo on the dcloud at dcloud.cisco.com. I haven't gone through it so I can't comment on the quality of the demo.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting! We run Fortinet at work, and I have Fortinet in my prod network at home, and the ASA 5505 in my test network. I must say though, I keep finding my way back to the ASA. Maybe a 5506 will replace my Fortinet in prod at home. What can I say, something about that ASA that's just badass.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Do not expect full FirePOWER functionality from the new 5506X/5508X models. It is my understanding it will not be comparable to higher end ASA models.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    They will have full Firepower functionality, RouteMyPacket. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104

My Cisco FPWR states otherwise so let's wait and see. Trust me I am all for it having full FPWR functionality as it makes it a lot more portable for me than a 5515X
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    cham00kocham00ko Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can find the new 5506 on Cisco Commerce Workspace under this SKU: ASA5506-K9

There will be an event on thursday where I assume the rest of the SMB ASAs w/ Firepower Services will be unveiled:

Voice of the Engineer: The New Cisco ASA with FirePOWER Services NGFW

There are some exciting (at least for me) news regarding this SMB appliances! icon_cheers.gif