Options

Security job market, do I miss something?

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
Guys

I keep getting phone calls for security jobs and most of them are ONLY by contract, I have a full time and I consider very risky contract jobs.

Sure I want to transition to full security position, so risk with benefit I still do not see and no way to mitigate it yet.

Do I miss something?
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely. Recruiters do their job that brings food on their tables. Companies usually don't give much **** about head hunting. You should make moves by yourself in order to get employed directly. Sometimes you get direct calls, but not much.

A rule of thumb is if you get called -- it's most likely a recruiter. If you want to work as an FTE -- do your best at applying by yourself, go to companies' career web-pages, say, Microsoft, or Google or whatever, search for jobs, craft resume and apply.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm working as a contractor and was hired directly in to security. It is extremely risky, the recruiter talked up this "new 5 year contract.. blah blah blah" I moved, arrived, in processed, and found out there was only 3 months left on the 5 year contract... Fortunately most companies hire the previous employees when the contracts change hands and there are a lot of job opportunities in the area.

I'm having the same issue, I like the money, but want the stability more I think. Talking to the full-time permanent guys working in security 98% of them took ANY full-time IT related job they could get to get in the door, then moved in to security positions, most in less than a year. Their advice is all the same, take ANY full-time position, even if it's a term/temp position, then try to move around.
  • Options
    WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently 4 years into 10 year contract that started 3 years before I got here. I was told before I was hired that there were 7 years left on a contract. That is pertinent information. Regardless, contracts can end before their time so there is some risk. I've seen people lose their jobs due to abrupt contract endings, so there is that. It's "safer" contract jobs are with large defense contractors that have been running for a while.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue, I like the money, but want the stability more I think. Talking to the full-time permanent guys working in security 98% of them took ANY full-time IT related job they could get to get in the door, then moved in to security positions, most in less than a year. Their advice is all the same, take ANY full-time position, even if it's a term/temp position, then try to move around.

This is very interesting approach, I am always get a lot of phone calls doing what I am doing right now, but I always turn it down because it is not 100% security job.. uhm, let me analyze this risk
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    A good path to a full time security job is in the medical field, education or government. These institutions put some emphasis on security and will often hire server/network people with some knowledge of security. Some larger private firms have security departments but not all of them. Think Sony icon_wink.gif.

As for the recruiter calls, take them with a grain of salt.