how many GB to allocate to each OS in vmware?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I want to create 4 Virtual Machines in VMWARE with different OS in each of them. Can anyone please tell me how much minimum GB(hard disk space) should I allocate for creating four VM's each with 4 different OS viz.- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise edition,Win 2012 R2 Datacenter, Win Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional?

Thanks & Regards

Comments

• netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That really depends on what you plan on doing with the VMs. Use thin provisioned drives and give them 80-120GB of drive space, they will only use what they consume. if you can use SSD drives or a fast RAID array and they will perform much better.
  • Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    That really depends on what you plan on doing with the VMs. Use thin provisioned drives and give them 80-120GB of drive space, they will only use what they consume. if you can use SSD drives or a fast RAID array and they will perform much better.

Agreed, I always thin provision and start with about 60 - 80GB, because you can always increase the size, but you can not decrease it very easily.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As said, use thing provisioning, I have two DC's which are near 20GB each and one file server which is near 10GB all running Win2012.

You can use differencing disks in some situations to save space as well and I'd recommend an SSD, they're quite affordable now.

I just bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KFAGCWK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am for the first time hearing about "thin provisioning" ! What is that I dont know,if someone can explain plz. Also ,I dont have so much HDD space in my personal computer to simulate VMs with 60GB-120GB of space. I cant afford such luxury & the max. till date I afforded for a VM is 25GB (as far as I can remember).Mostly I use 3-20GB HD range and I asked this question just to get an idea what others are using to practice MS/MCITP /MCSA /MCSE labs. icon_redface.gif
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    I am for the first time hearing about "thin provisioning" ! What is that I dont know,if someone can explain plz. Also ,I dont have so much HDD space in my personal computer to simulate VMs with 60GB-120GB of space. I cant afford such luxury & the max. till date I afforded for a VM is 25GB (as far as I can remember).Mostly I use 3-20GB HD range and I asked this question just to get an idea what others are using to practice MS/MCITP /MCSA /MCSE labs. icon_redface.gif
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpZKjeK0uTQ
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pjd007 wrote: »

Thank you pjd007. Nice video ,explained well :) .I will add a rep 4 u