David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    His exact words "that was my plan - finish the lab before you so if I pass I'll get a lower number"

I was just glad we both got numbers and it's quite nice that they are right together!

Though I wonder if it was actually because his surname comes before mine alphabetically? Or something...
    Or are they graded in order they are submitted? Suppose that would make it chronological.
    Anyway - what should I study now? Getting bored of not studying already.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Change gears and study virtualization. If you are familiar with ESXi (which I think you are), the VCP: NV should be about a month's study time for you and if you decide to go further, the VCIX: NV shouldnt be more than 3 months, given your advanced networking knowledge.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    congrats gonebrush and silver! icon_cheers.gif
    CCIE SP would be the easiest transition. I guess it all depends on what you want to do.
    Essendon wrote: »
    Change gears and study virtualization. If you are familiar with ESXi (which I think you are), the VCP: NV should be about a month's study time for you and if you decide to go further, the VCIX: NV shouldnt be more than 3 months, given your advanced networking knowledge.

Been using ESX at home for 3 years + and VMWare Workstation for over 10 years - so yeah that would be a good idea.

I'm an MCSE (albeit 2003) so that would be a good rounding... maybe I could renew my MCSE to 2012 too.

I have so many choices! :)

Hard to know what route to go
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah it'll be a hard choice to make. Personally, if I were you, I'd go with the VMware route simply because expert n/w knowledge + expert vSphere knowledge = GOLD. Cant go wrong with CCIE: SP either. So..!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    MCSE as well - VMWare+CCIE+MCSE....

I know very little about VMWare certification. What kind of equipment do I need in a lab? I've got a Quad Core w/ 32GB RAM running ESXi5.5 and an i7 desktop PC I can turn into another ESX server if I so desired....

What level do I need to go to - VCDX-DCV? VCAP-DCA/D? -- is that shooting too high? :D

I suppose I could really expand and recert in Windows Server 2012 as well...

Though as you say, SP would not hurt me either...
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Anyway - what should I study now? Getting bored of not studying already.

I've been there man. Not quite CCIE but after finishing my CCNP I want to study more :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Yeah it's lethal dropping it.

I've started to see if my colleagues at work at after any of my kit - I'm going to sell all my Cisco lab now - I can just use CSR's and IOU for any further RnS practice.

I'll take the money I get out of that and put it towards lab #2
    So, I have decided.

Click here to see my next big idea....
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done guys, as someone else mentioned it's nice to drop by and be greeted with good news :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Congrats - amazing achievement icon_thumright.gif
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    gorebrush wrote: »
    CCIE is in the bag! I passed too!

Congratulations.

Your thread has been inspirational.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HUGE Congrats!!! Hope you are enjoying your number!!!

You are a beacon of light for the rest of us!

How are you spending all that free time? Lol!
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
    Well I'm now back in work and thinking about the next certification, at the moment I think I am going to head full on for CCIE #2 - DC. I was going to do the VMware certs as I don't need to do any VMware courses if I do the VCP-NV but I think I will wait until the official cert guide drops later in the year then think about doing it then. I will be 100% CCIE DC now.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    OMG! That's awesome news man! Congrats for achieving what you set out to do five years ago! :)
  • mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As i read through your thread I noticed you bought physical lab back in 2013, did you ever switch to VMware / virtual routers at all through your process?
    I did - the physical lab I used a lot during the v4 days, but I soon learned about the CSR and did it that way once I'd decided to go for v5.

I sold off a lot of the lab, but still have the 3750's and 3x1841's. I'm not sure why I am retaining them now to be honest, but I'd get so little money for it - I might as well use it and practice with it - it's still useful, despite me owning a Quad core 32GB ESX box. You just can't beat physical sometimes.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, gorebrush! I had subscribed to your thread some time ago and just happened to check back - good to see you finally did it!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Dave,

I know I'm very late to the party here, I've been away a while. But i just wanted to say a huge congrats mate! really pleased for you mate! Well done.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    My rack is looking pretty empty these days. Just my 4U server, Cisco SG300-28 and a Mikrotik RB2011 left...
    Oh and now I've added a Xeon E3-1231V3, 32GB ECC to the setup. 96GB RAM across my machines now all usable for Virtual shennanigans.
    Today marks 1 year since I passed the CCIE lab. How time flies!
    Two years down! Recertification was done last July so I'm good until Feb 2019
  • serraparkerserraparker Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have finished r&S now i am planning to go for security or dc which one is a better prospect