Should I renew A+, Network+, Security+?

rezadential2285rezadential2285 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have both my CCNA R+S and MCSA for Windows 7. My A+, Network+, and Security+ recently expired and I am afraid I don't have the funds to renew all 3 certs. Would I just be able to renew all 3 by taking the Security+ exam? Or do I have to take all 3 all over again? Is it even worth renewing?

I am also about ready to sit for the CCNA Security exam here in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe that with your CCNA, there's no point of renewing your Network+, so you can scratch that one out. So you're left with A+ and Security+. I believe that by passing Security+ it does renew A+ but you might want to double check to be sure.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have they actually expired? If so i think you have to retake them. If they have not expired you can renew them by passing the most current Security+, Storage+ or CCNA Security. There are other ways as well using the link in the post above mine, but those 3 are 1 exam solutions.

Update: Just to make sure I called CompTIA about an expired certification. You can renew it before the expiration date, but once its expired, you have to retake all of them.

Keep in mind that you if the Security+ was the last one that you took, it will renew the A+ and Network+ so that all 3 would have the same expiration date. So if your Security+ is still valid, the all 3 are valid.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • rezadential2285rezadential2285 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, all of them expired. I'll probably go back and get Network+ and Sec+ once I am finished with school this year.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unless you are looking at Gov jobs, I would honestly skip on going back for the N+ and A+. Your CCNA and MCSA already tell employers that you more than have the necessary skills to not need those certifications as they are fairly low level. Sec + may be the only one I would consider, but there are other higher level security certs out there that may benefit you further than the Comptia would offer.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just saw the end of your post that you will be sitting for the CCNA : Security. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Comptia certs as the cost far outweighs the benefits. (Unless, again, you are looking at Government jobs)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with MeanDrunkR2D2 (I still lol at your name), I would not bother given your current certs, MCSA > A+, CCNA > Network+. I just don't see the time and money being worth it and like has been mentioned, unless you're going for a gov job they won't really help and even then in DoD Directive 8570.1 where it's listed in IAT II, and IAM I, a CCNA Security trumps it, so I would go for the CCNA Security.

Disclaimer: I let my Network+ and Security+ lapse last October as I felt them worthless.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your money would be better spent on higher level certs then renewing your entry level certs so you can move onto better things. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63