Sec504 - GCIH - Practice Test harder than Real Exam?

bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm preparing for the GCIH exam for June 30th - I just took 1 practice GCIH exam. and i didn't do well on it. I got 50%. maybe i should have studied a bit more? but according to some people here - the practice exams are tougher than the real test? is that about correct. also - there were questions where maybe i spent to much time on them because i didn't know the answer very well. and i skipped questions too. for those who have taken the practice and real exams what is about the average amount of time i should spend per question? because i felt rushed at some tpoints. i basically panicked during this exam and accepted the fact that i wasn't gonna pass it at all - so i basically copy pasted all the question i know i didn't have answers to into a word file so i could study them. i also ran out of time and ended up rushing thru the test just the copy all the questions - i see the importance of an index. my index wasn't totally complete yet - i just had summary pages and i wanted to get a feel for how hard the test would be. and for me it was. i have an idea. i will group the questions according to the report i get about the weak areas i didn't answer very well in. and now i have a better idea of how i should organize my index so that when i see a key word or a concept i can find it in the book. anybody else here take both practice exams and pass the test have advice for me?

Comments

• Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Having a reliable index is good, but actually knowing the material combined with a good index would really pay off. I think you should spend some time actually reading and really absorbing the courseware (assuming you have the official SANS books) and really absorbing the material. You're not gonna have time to look up every question and every key term, that's why knowing the bulk of the material is vital. Good luck with your studies and test, I'll be going after GCIH before the year is up. Let us know how it goes.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In my experience, virtually all the GIAC practice exams I've taken have been in the ballpark compared to the real exam, although the specific questions are different. Normally an exam will take me about half the allotted time. For example, if it's a four-hour exam, I generally finish in a little over half the time.

You should definitely build an index, comb through the courseware in the process of doing so, and soak more in. It sounds like you're not ready for the real exam and on test day you don't want to be spending all of your time flipping through the books unless it's to confirm your answers.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    In my experience, virtually all the GIAC practice exams I've taken have been in the ballpark compared to the real exam, although the specific questions are different. Normally an exam will take me about half the allotted time. For example, if it's a four-hour exam, I generally finish in a little over half the time.

You should definitely build an index, comb through the courseware in the process of doing so, and soak more in. It sounds like you're not ready for the real exam and on test day you don't want to be spending all of your time flipping through the books unless it's to confirm your answers.

yeah. very good points. i plan to post my finished index here for people to review it. thanks for the help. i plan to take the 2nd GCIH practice exam again before i finally take the exam on the 30th.

thanks for the help.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The index is key. If it is well crafted and you really understand the material you will not even need to open that book. I only opened my books to check two or three answers. A good number of questions I had doubts on were easily cleared by checking my index.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The index is key. If it is well crafted and you really understand the material you will not even need to open that book. I only opened my books to check two or three answers. A good number of questions I had doubts on were easily cleared by checking my index.

i'm working thru my index now. i will probably have it done soon with the next 6-7 days. i will share it here for everybody to review. thanks for the help.
  • pappyTpappyT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would echo the other thoughts here. both of my GIAC exams, the real test was about the same difficulty as the practice exams... now, that being said, I was more prepared for the real one after taking the two practice exams with each. Key is the index. if you put the time into creating a good index, you're also 'studying' right along with making the index. the practice tests I used as opportunities to fine-tune my index. on my exams, I think both of my 'real' exams were within 5% of my 2nd practice exam.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Practice is not harder than real exam. You get higher score for real exam is because you would had know your weak areas through practice and thus study harder for them. Practice test difficulty is the same as the real exam. If you can't pass the pratice test, then you should study more until you are ready.
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pappyT wrote: »
    I would echo the other thoughts here. both of my GIAC exams, the real test was about the same difficulty as the practice exams... now, that being said, I was more prepared for the real one after taking the two practice exams with each. Key is the index. if you put the time into creating a good index, you're also 'studying' right along with making the index. the practice tests I used as opportunities to fine-tune my index. on my exams, I think both of my 'real' exams were within 5% of my 2nd practice exam.

I will echo this post. Though the practice test always feel harder to me, it is likely that I am just that much more prepared for the real exam. Also, don't be shy in looking up answers in your book. I agree that when you are ready, you will not need to look up much, but I still looked up a number of questions and scored a 90%. But nothing is going to replace studying, crafting that index and more studying. It sounds like you are on your way but you just need to keep studying.
    I will echo this post. Though the practice test always feel harder to me, it is likely that I am just that much more prepared for the real exam. Also, don't be shy in looking up answers in your book. I agree that when you are ready, you will not need to look up much, but I still looked up a number of questions and scored a 90%. But nothing is going to replace studying, crafting that index and more studying. It sounds like you are on your way but you just need to keep studying.

yeah. i decided to postpone the exam date to give myself another month. i might come here an ask questions. i also plan to post my exam index here too soon.
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck. Keep studying hard. Thats the only way to get ready.
    Good luck. Keep studying hard. Thats the only way to get ready.

yeah. thanks for inspiring me man. i appreciate it. i need support and somebody to talk to.
  • AceedAceed Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you ever end up finishing your Index? I'd like to take a look if possible. Thanks!
  • Adel_SaddahAdel_Saddah Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone can share his/her index in here?

I will sit for the exam sometime in January.
  • seltaebseltaeb Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone can share his/her index in here?

I will sit for the exam sometime in January.

Same here, anyone can help :D
  • jensmith592jensmith592 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish you all the best
    I am the OP of this thread. i started it.

i'm very very sorry. i think this thread should be deleted. i passed the exam two days ago here - i chronicle how i did it.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/108806-passed-gcih-yesterday-80-score.html

if you study properly - the actual exam turns out to be easier than the practice tests.

i was very wrong and i'm thankful that i caught myself in time to correct my study methods.

if anybody has questions about how to prepare for this test. i'm more than open to helping others.
  • ansel1261ansel1261 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BKhayes,
    NP I read your post and got some useful information out of it. Taking the GCIH exam in a couple of days. If you still visit this forum (I am replying to a dated post) , thank you for your post.

Ansel
  • abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you have a good index - during your practice test, make sure you fill in any gaps in your index that may help you for the real exam. The key to doing well is having a thorough understanding of the material and also a solid index to validate your answers.
  • matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually found the cert exam to be easier than the practice exams. I scored around a 90% on the practice and a 96% on the cert exam. I wholeheartedly echo abelamorales' recommendation to have a good index. If you are familiar with the material, an index is not entirely necessary, but to really excel a good index is crucial.
  • MKDMKD Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI bkhayes, Could you please let me know whether I need to do all the LABS in SANS book to clear this exam? I am very confused about it . I am reading the theoretical part and not sure whether I need to do the practical index as well. Please give your inputs.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's my understanding that the labs are not testable, but I still add some of the lab commands to my index just in case.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • temuchintemuchin Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MKD wrote: »
    HI bkhayes, Could you please let me know whether I need to do all the LABS in SANS book to clear this exam? I am very confused about it . I am reading the theoretical part and not sure whether I need to do the practical index as well. Please give your inputs.

The intent of the lab is to give you some hands-on into a concept that may be relatively new to you. If you're already familiar with the concept then doing that particular lab won't be helpful.
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would do every lab multiple times so you are 100% comfortable with how the tools work, what each command and option does and the output you should expect to see for each situation. It is important to know how the tools work for the exam.