Gorebrush's virtual thread

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
So here is my journey blog into the world of Virtualisation. Hot off the heels of the CCIE, I don't want to be letting up any pace on study, and VMWare is something I need to get certified in, especially when you consider the number of years I have been working with Workstation, ESXi and aware of it in my workplace.

First step is to work out what leve of certification I want to go for. I am guessing VCAP-DCV is a good level to aim for and would be most relevant for me, so here is my thread blogging my adventure.

I already have an ESX server, but I'm going to sell off all my Cisco equipment now and invest this into a lab. I will probably get some of those Intel NUC's and work out how I can create a SAN. May turn my current server into just a SAN (It's got a RAID card and 4x2TB disks after all.....)

Any helps/tips/ideas, please throw them at me!

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you're a CCIE and have some experience with vSphere, you'll be better off going down the network track vs. DC track.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I see - I was a Server Admin for a very long time too so can probably think about both.

What level cert do I need to go for and how long do these typically take?
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First thing you're gpoing to want to do is to sign up for a VCP class, if you go the VCP-DCV track. Particularly if you're going the Stanly route, you're going to have 2-4 months just waiting to get into the class, then two months in the class. You can't get your VCP officially until you have the class done (unless you do the VCP-NV making use of your CCIE to waive the class requirement).

Head over to Cody's page to read about using Autolab to roll out a test farm quickly:
    vSphere 5 AutoLab

Buy Scott Lowe's book:
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5: 9781118661147: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

Then start poking around. Break things, fix them, etc

Ron Fuller has made it clear that he wouldn't have nearly the grasp of Vmware NSX as he does without all of his previous network training working with Cisco. So you already have the basics there for VCP-NV. Your vmware and windows experience has set you up for the server/sysadmin side, so you have the basics for VCP-DCV. Pick one, or both, based on your career goals and what interests you most, and go for it.

I'm taking my VCP today, been studying for about a month (as well as using Vmware products in testing and production for more than a decade), and I expect I'll sit m y VCAP sometime this summer, once I finish MY CCIE.
    Since you have a CCIE getting a VCP-NV should be enough. Go to VMware Learning Platform and play around with NSX intro to get a feel for network virtualization from VMware prosective.

It took me 3 weeks of self study and 5 day ICM class to pass VCP-NV.
    Ah I can skip the class with a CCIE? Great news - I am not interested in 5 day classes if I can avoid them.

Also - thanks for the directions!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    vSphere 6 will be along shortly so whilst there's no real harm in studying the v5 Data Center stuff, if I was a freshly minted CCIE I'd be looking at the Network Virtualization track (VCP-NV) at the moment.

I guess it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go and where your job leads you, but maybe try for the VCP levels in Data Center and Network Virtualization and then onto more advanced levels if you're still keen and interested and haven't been pulled back into the Cisco certification world. I figured a couple of months for VCP level stuff which was total overkill based on my real world experience but I like to go through the blueprints thoroughly several times.

I think a CCIE with strong VMware Network Virtualization experience would be a good combo going forwards. And don't forget to plan in your CCIE Data Center over the next couple of years too, no pressure mate :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    DC is in there already ;) (Hence the desire for a VMWare cert as well)

If VCP level is honestly enough then that'll do me.

My advantage is - I'm not being pulled anywhere, I am driving all my certification.
    And of course, this ESXi lab can double for studying for all kinds of other certs. I just setup my first home ESXi box this weekend, and it's already running UCS Platform Emulator (CCIE:DC), EMC VNX Simulator (EMCISA EMCISE) and F5 Big-IP VE (Whatever F5 calls their certs :) ). I'll be loading Data Ontap Simulator here sometime in the next few weeks too, in case I ever want to follow up my previous Netapp classes with the actual certs. Since we run 7mode at work, I have to practice cluster mode in VMs.
    I ran CSR's for my CCIE on my ESX box, I wub it. It's also my Plex server :D
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Ah I can skip the class with a CCIE? Great news - I am not interested in 5 day classes if I can avoid them.

Also - thanks for the directions!

I took the 5 day class because I was struggling with some of the network concepts.

In your case read through 6.1 NSX install and admin design docs, NSX design guide linked in the exam blueprint and pound away at HOL-SDC-1402 & 1403. No need to buy hardware.

Edit: It looks like 6.1 admin guide is about as bad as 6.0. The exam is based on 6.0, so read through the 6.0 docs.
    No need to buy hardware. Super!
    So VCP-NV is also a valid pre-requisite to VCP-DCV

So I can avoid 5 day courses altogether. How very handy. Before anyone asks - I just don't want to be forking out £3K for courses that's my only dislike for them.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I were you, I would just do the VCP: NV and not worry about the VCP: DCV. Stick to your networking thing and leave server virtualization to people like me ;)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon wrote: »
    If I were you, I would just do the VCP: NV and not worry about the VCP: DCV. Stick to your networking thing and leave server virtualization to people like me ;)

I thought you were focusing on VDI?
    That's right Dave, I'm focusing on VDI these days, SV is still bread and butter though!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

I so could do both :P

determined-challenge-accepted-l.png
    So the road map for now then, VCP-NV means I don't need any hardware. CCIE: Security can be done all virtually more or less these days, and DC is something that is pretty cool given that I'm 4 days into a Nexus 7K course. Employer tells me that either of these IE's would be beneficial.

Looking around at the job market - Security/DC IE's really make most sense too, but I can't resist the NV given it enables me to walk into the VMware world (and crucially before the Jan 2016 deadline of the exemption of the course.)

Plan is now in motion, VCP-NV-->CCIE: DC. That'll keep me occupied for the next 12 months.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Wait a minute...You are able to skip the 5-day classes for the NV cert, and use it as a prereq for DCV?

If it's true, I will be the next one jumping into the virtualization world :)
    If I have mis-read the documentation I do apologise, but that's the impression I get...
    FWIW, You may not even need to get your VCP-NV to let your CCIE remove the classroom requirement for VCP-DCV.

When you register for your classroom exemption with your CCIE, your transcript will then carry the following (WITHOUT having to actually take VCP-NV):

icon_circle_information_blue.gif
    VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent
    19-Aug-2014

For now at least, that seems to mean you can take your VCP-DCV test, no class, and receive your VCP-DCV.

I would still make sure you take VCP-NV or take the VCP-DCV class, as they will probably notice this bug and fix the issue, but take that for what it's worth.

On an unrelated note, while I haven't finished my class yet, it looks like I have my VCP-DCV now. ;)
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    FWIW, You may not even need to get your VCP-NV to let your CCIE remove the classroom requirement for VCP-DCV.

When you register for your classroom exemption with your CCIE, your transcript will then carry the following (WITHOUT having to actually take VCP-NV):

icon_circle_information_blue.gif

VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent

19-Aug-2014

For now at least, that seems to mean you can take your VCP-DCV test, no class, and receive your VCP-DCV.

I would still make sure you take VCP-NV or take the VCP-DCV class, as they will probably notice this bug and fix the issue, but take that for what it's worth.

On an unrelated note, while I haven't finished my class yet, it looks like I have my VCP-DCV now. ;)

Interesting.. i wonder why mine doesnt have any digits there... I just past CCNA on Monday 2/9/15 and then notified VMware Tuesday..

I registered for the CCNP exemption back in October, so it might take a bit, or they might just be doing it differently now.
    I had an e-mail through last night confirming my exemption from the course - so I can now go ahead and request an exam for VCP-NV.

NV will let me do DCV as well. What a combination!

On a more interesting note, I can do VCIX-NV because CCIE is a pre-req for that too. (Too much???)

I think the Pro level would be enough for now - CCIE made sense because I've been in networking for 7 years now.

Ah- looking further at their website - I can do the VCIX, but would need to sit it by January 2016. Whereas the VCP-DCV would be enough without further courses, so arguably I could go VCP-NV->VCP-DCV->VCIX-NV+CCIE: DC.
    The VCIX shouldn't be too much for you at all. The 'expert' in the VCIX isn't the equivalent of a CCIE from what I gather about this cert. I reckon the VCIX could be yours in about 3-6 months depending on how much time you can spare. Take it one step at a time though, see if you even like this stuff.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Now that is just teasing. But yes, that is a very good point, one step at a time. However, I do like the idea of NV/DCV then CCIE: DC - that would pretty much make me golden at my company because we have so much VMware and Nexus is starting to proliferate a lot and I can see how well the two technologies marry together in the world of DC...

Time wise, I'll shortly be back to my CCIE level of hours - I can easily put in 40+ hours a week on a good week.
    VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent Complete

This now appears in my vmware education account hehehe
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Now that is just teasing. But yes, that is a very good point, one step at a time. However, I do like the idea of NV/DCV then CCIE: DC - that would pretty much make me golden at my company because we have so much VMware and Nexus is starting to proliferate a lot and I can see how well the two technologies marry together in the world of DC...

Time wise, I'll shortly be back to my CCIE level of hours - I can easily put in 40+ hours a week on a good week.

Just a FYI, NSX and Nexus 1KV don't play with each other.
    Haven't really touched NK1V at this point so not a worry for me - but will bear it in mind.

I have seen someone build a home NSX lab on a single physical box with 32GB RAM and I do have one of those, so I can try it all out without any more investment. However, I am starting to get bits of my Cisco gear all shipped out now so will try and invest in a VMware lab which I can do VCP-DCV and NV on. CCIE:DC will remain in the background for the time being whilst I work out how I will test all the features
    Gorebrush, I just posted a quick rundown of what's possibly virtual and what's not for CCIE:DC on my blog. Basically, 90% of UCS, 100% of 1kV, maybe 40% of NX-OS and none of MDS. So start saving your pennies for rack rentals. :)