CISM study resources

jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Having (very) recently passed the CISSP, I'm looking to strike while the iron is hot at other certs while my brain is still in study mode. To that end, I'm looking to sit the CISM, CRISC & maybe the CISA exam. I understand that CISM has more overlap with CISSP than CISA - would you say that's correct?

So I've registered with ISACA and I will be buying the 2015 review manual and Q&A manual. Do I need the database too? Would you say these resources are sufficient study resources for the June exam, or do I need an additional book? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, CISM is similar to CISM. Keep in mind that CISA, CISM and CRISC all have different work experience requirements, and the domains are NOT the same. JAT.

As for studying - I have found that the database is enough for me. If you're really into reading dry material, you'll love it and think it's a real page-turner, but most people in the past, have found more value from the detailed explanations in the database than the book.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    The Q&A Database is the same as the Q&A Manual+Supplement. It is recommended over the manual due to the fact that the manual has the answers right after the question which makes it hard to study effectively. Also the database lets you set up custom exams.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks. I live in the UK - do you know if ISACA provide a PDF/ePub version of the book? What about the database - is it electronic delivery or do I have to wait for a DVD?

I'm also trying to figure out where in London the test centre will be, to see if I can get to it on the day. But the website doesn't state. Any ideas?

Finally, I cannot figure out how much the exam is without going through the whole registration process. Do you know how much it is?
    Thanks for your reponses, guys. I spoke to ISACA on Twitter - apparently they're planning on eBooks for 2016. Also, they don't tell candidates the exam location until 3 weeks before the date.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whats the point in keeping the test location a secret?
    whats the point in keeping the test location a secret?

Who knows? I suspect they don't know themselves until close to the time. When I explained I need to know if it's going to be in central London, so I can get there (as opposed to south west London, which would take me about 4 hours to get to in rush hour), their response was: "We make every attempt for it to be located centrally but cannot make any guarantees"
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    Thanks for your reponses, guys. I spoke to ISACA on Twitter - apparently they're planning on eBooks for 2016.

This is so 1999 if you ask me... How old school it is to see me carrying that big 2015 CISM book around everywhere i go.. I really expected the books to come with a CD attached in which you'd find your nice and handy PDF file you'd simply drop on your work laptop.. Thaaaa well i might be slightly too much into the present year indeed...

I've also spoken a bit with their representatives for a couple of questions i've had and honestly i think 3 words per answers where their average.. something like "yes it is." (i've personally added the dot here)

2015 database v15 CD-ROM not online yet... well...
  • shamim.secshamim.sec Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Database is a real help. Its explanation section provide more understanding.
    You can set exam for capterwise and also go for simulated final exam. It help you to manage your time during exam.
    Your experince is another big help. Before answering the qusetion always think from CISO/Security manager aspect.
  • mj1982mj1982 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can any one suggest if CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanation 2015 database v15 CD-ROM available on Amazon.com and on ISACA website are same? I am confused as there is price difference.
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    mj1982 wrote: »
    Can any one suggest if CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanation 2015 database v15 CD-ROM available on Amazon.com and on ISACA website are same? I am confused as there is price difference.

Hi there, i think they're the same..
  • megabluemegablue Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since this thread is already open... :)

Any recommendations about study materials other than the official ones from ISACA? I found this one at Amazon:

Thanks!
    As many have said stick to the official resources.
  • eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mj1982 wrote: »

When I did mine, the Amazon price was lower than the non-member and member prices at ISACA for some odd reason. It wasn't a great amount but it was indeed different so I got the book from Amazon and the database directly from ISACA as a download. The DB is invaluable as far as the test goes. The only downside to it is over-studying it and then assuming the questions will be exactly like the ones you (over) studied. That said, I can't say enough good things about the DB as a study tool and I wish other cert boards would adopt the ISACA question engine.
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    megablue wrote: »
    Since this thread is already open... :)

Any recommendations about study materials other than the official ones from ISACA? I found this one at Amazon:

Thanks!

For the CISM, I personally would not use anything other than the ISACA study materials. There is no Shon Harris or Rita Mulcahy to guide you into the mind of ISACA for the CISM so just stick with the official, but pricey, study materials. The test is on paper and it is no joke.
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • TintinHergeTintinHerge Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone confirm that I don't get any book with the exam registration and that I have to buy the CISM Review Manual separately?
    Can someone confirm that I don't get any book with the exam registration and that I have to buy the CISM Review Manual separately?
    Yes I can confirm that dont get a book with your registration. You need to purchase the Review Manual and DB questions separate.