Options

CISSP 1st Timer Recommendations

TuxSamTuxSam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All!

I was hoping to get opinions on a few things via this post. I have been studying on an off for a few years but for the past year I have kicked it up a notch and have been studying hard.

First, I was hoping to get some good sources for practice questions. I have gone through Shon Harris's Practice Questions book as well as the questions in her newest edition of her CISSP 1000+ page tome. I have also read and taken the practice tests in the CISSP for Dummies book, 11th Hour, and a few other book related resources. Are there good resources online for free CISSP practice questions?

Second, I know this is an impossible question to answer simply 'yes' or 'no' to but I have read at least a half dozen CISSP books, taken all of the corresponding practice exams, taken notes on the questions I got wrong, as well as reviewed my notes that I took while reading the aforementioned books and I am wondering if I am ready. Again this is not a question that I am expecting 'yes' or 'no' to but I was wondering if I am ready to schedule my exam. Other than using online resources for more practice questions I am unsure how to assess if I am ready or not.

Third, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Regards,

Tux

Comments

• Options
    dctgibsondctgibson Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Tux, if you're averaging 80 - 85% or more on the practice exams, you should be ready. Pinpoint your weak areas and work on firming those up. If you haven't checked out the MH practice exams, see the link below. Wishing you the best:

McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams
  • Options
    TuxSamTuxSam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So far I have taken the following practice exams and averaged the corresponding score across all 10 domains:
    CISSP for Dummies - 74%
    CISSP Cert Guide (Pearson) - 73%
    Shon Harris All-In-One - 76%
    Shon Harris Practice Exams - 79%
    11th Hour End of Chapter Exams - 70%

And I am currently going through the end of chapter exam in the Sybex 6th Edition and averaging 72%.

My goal is to identify problematic domains after finishing up with the Sybex book and reviewing them in additional detail.

Thanks for the MH website. Are they free?
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Not sure if 70s leave much room for margin of error. I attended a boot camp and read the Sybex and 11th hours books from cover to cover. I have also taken so many practice exams my head hurts. I sit for the exam tomorrow and am currently averaging 90-95% on practice exams. That being said I am still extremely nervous. I will update on whether I pass or fail tomorrow evening
  • Options
    MH is free....
  • Options
    @Robertf969....wish you the best on the exam. Keep us posted....
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try to keep a log of your first and subsequent attempts with quizzes, etc. Are you getting better or simply memorizing the questions over time? Its very easy to do. Stop, read the question like its your first time seeing it and pick it apart like you would on a real exam.

Identify the fluff from the real part of the question being as critical as possible. Eliminate that first wrong answer by concluding its impossible not because you don't like the answer itself. Be critical. Many times these psychometric tests boil down to two close but not quite right answers. You job is to determine the most or least wrong answer. Not necessarily the "best" answer. See the difference and why its important not to become too comfortable with quiz books?

Keep this in mind and you can pass anything you put your mind to. Well, that and maybe a stiff drink soon afterwards.

- beads
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TuxSam wrote: »
    So far I have taken the following practice exams and averaged the corresponding score across all 10 domains:
    CISSP for Dummies - 74%
    CISSP Cert Guide (Pearson) - 73%
    Shon Harris All-In-One - 76%
    Shon Harris Practice Exams - 79%
    11th Hour End of Chapter Exams - 70%

And I am currently going through the end of chapter exam in the Sybex 6th Edition and averaging 72%.

My goal is to identify problematic domains after finishing up with the Sybex book and reviewing them in additional detail.

Thanks for the MH website. Are they free?

You seem to already have some certificates under your belt and that will help you tremendously. I got somewhere around 70s on the Shon Harris AIO book and passed the exam in January. As the saying goes, you can never be 100% ready for the real exam, it can not be compared with any practice exams. Use your knowledge, your experience, your study, some common sense and some good test taking tips you will find here and you will be ok. Take your time but don't over think it.
    L
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    PASSED, I detailed my study in another thread