The new mysql5.6 certifications

aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I just registered for the new mysql 5.6 developer and administrator exams:

Oracle Certification Program: Oracle Technology and Applications Certification

Oracle Certified Professional, MySQL 5.6 Database Administrator

I'm wondering based on the exam topics if the old certification guide will still be good enough ?

Comments

• ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How did you find the exams ?
  • aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    How did you find the exams ?

Hello, I haven't taken the exams yet. I have scheduled them as late as I could (Dec 20) for the beta plan and I would be going for both exams in the same day one after the other.

I really don't have a plan at all for this exam. My MySQL skills are basic enough to get me by for day to day job (PHP development) and I will only have a month by the time I start preparing for it. I think I will go through the old certification guide, Murach's MySQL, Mysql developer's library 5th edition :

http://www.amazon.com/MySQL-5th-Edition-Developers-Library/dp/0321833872/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_4

Out of these 3 books, I have a feeling that the developer's library might be the best suited as it seems to up to date on mysql 5.6 and many topics match directly with what's on the exam. It's written by the same guy who wrote the old certification guide.

BTW any thoughts on these videos for the above mentioned exams :

Developer:

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/course/mysql-database-cma-010-002
    http://www.vtc.com/products/MySQL-5-Development-Part1-tutorials.htm
    http://www.vtc.com/products/MySQL-5-Development-Part2-Tutorials.htm

Administrator:
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/course/mysql-database-5-administrator-1-005-002
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/course/mysql-database-5-administrator-2-006-002

I think I read that you had passed the associate exam. How hard was that one and what resources did you use ?
    OCA was really really easy.........I just used the official MySQL certification guide and read chapters highlighted as required reading for OCA exam. How were the beta exams ?
    OCA was really really easy.........I just used the official MySQL certification guide and read chapters highlighted as required reading for OCA exam. How were the beta exams ?

It was difficult and very lengthy. Many questions are verbose. The questions will touch on the nitty gritties of topics. You need to know the syntax and the kind of outputs that are generated. The biggest hindrance for me was the complete lack of resources. There are no guides out yet and I couldn't find any training videos relevant to mysql 5.6. You have to rely on the mysql 5.6 manual which was too pedantic for me.

I think the DEV exam is very much doable if you study really well. There were a few questions on how to use .NET, PHP, Java with MySQL which troubled me a lot. I don't know how one is supposed to know the exact syntax/connector API details for all 3. I work with PHP only in my daily job. The 5.0 guide can come in handy here if you have to learn the basics but I would go through the 5.6 aspects from the manual as well.

The Admin exam was just a disaster for me. It was very heavy on 5.6 aspects. I think this is one exam that shouldn't even be attempted without experience or long period of study.

I haven't received my results but I'm pretty sure I will flunk the admin exam.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am look at sitting the DEV exam sometime next year, this year just want to do my SQL2012 certification.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am look at sitting the DEV exam sometime next year, this year just want to do my SQL2012 certification.

You're welcome.

I think you will be in much better position next year as guides for these certifications will be out sometime this year.

I'm going for 70-461 next month as well...I think it won't be nearly as hard as mysql exams because the objectives are very clear and there is a lot of resources out there.
    how are the 70-461 studies going ? Have you received your beta results yet ?
    how are the 70-461 studies going ? Have you received your beta results yet ?

Hi, I have postponed my 70-461 exams for a bit. I'm taking the Zend PHP 5.5 exam first because PHP is what I work with in the first place.

Haven't received my beta results yet.
  • damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any updates? How was the Murach guide for either of these?
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Thanks for the info. I'm about to take my OCP 12c Admin upgrade exam and then I plan on SQL 2012 MCSE and MySQL 5.6 shortly afterward. I hope to have them done by the end of the year. Thanks for the info!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Sina80Sina80 Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aswebdev wrote: »

The Admin exam was just a disaster for me. It was very heavy on 5.6 aspects. I think this is one exam that shouldn't even be attempted without experience or long period of study.

I will take course "MySQL for Database Administrators Ed 3.1" and afterwords try the exam.

Anybody else can share an exam review?
  • Sina80Sina80 Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aswebdev wrote: »
    The Admin exam was just a disaster for me. It was very heavy on 5.6 aspects. I think this is one exam that shouldn't even be attempted without experience or long period of study. I haven't received my results but I'm pretty sure I will flunk the admin exam.
    I didn't pass the admin exam. Had only 3% too less. I agree with your statement. How is your result? I specially interested in dev. Will take the dev exam in 30 days
  • DollitDollit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I would like to take the exam MySQL 5.6 Database Administrator (1Z0-883).
    Is the course helpful to pass the exam?
    Can you report some questions of the exam, so I can fit my approch to the exam?
    Regards,
    D.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to dig this thread up but it's the only relevant post.

Does anyone know of practice exams for this exam? Was thinking of taking the exam but not comfortable with taking an OCP level exam without taking any Oracle exams previously.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/