Passed CISSP Today!

Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
So I passed my CISSP certification exam today. WOW this test is not for the faint of heart. Anyways I will get to the point since most of you want to know what I used to study.

Skillport CISSP Class
- Pretty much just helped realize what I was getting myself into.

Instructor lead boot camp
- This was good only in the fact that it made me aware of how much I actually did not know. Whenever I saw a slide with something on it that I had never seen before I took a note. I dont think anyone can be taught how to pass the CISSP.

Sybex CISSP Study Guide
- I read this entire book cover to cover. Once I finished reading the book cover to cover I went through and highlight what I thought to be important snipits of information. Afterwards I read and reread what I highlighted.

Official CISSP CBK
- I found this book hard to swallow so unlike the Sybex book I did not read it from cover to cover. I did however skim the domains and look for information that was not provided to me in the Sybex book.

CBT Nuggets
-I used this to reinforce concepts I was kind of iffy on. Note: I did not watch every module.

11th Hour CISSP
- This book is really easy to swallow. Its about 200 pages and just gives you the nuts and bolts. I read this book 3 days before I took the test just to reinforce the concepts I had already been drilling.

Transcender Practice tests / any free practice test I could find.
- I had read on here from other members that I should be averaging between 80-85% on practice tests. I didnt feel comfortable at 80% so I kept redoing them until I was consistently getting over 90% on each domain.

Disclaimer: Some people learn different than I do, some might think I overdid it and indeed I too know people who studied far less than me and managed to pass. CISSP is an expensive exam and I am not a big fan of spending a ton of money to try it over and over again.

Comments

• papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Good stuff man. Congrats to you. My test is on March 28th and I'm behind on stuff after starting a new CISO position in a new company.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing the CISSP, welcome to the club :D
  • jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done on the pass!
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done. congrats and welcome
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done, congratulations!
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Congratulations on a well earned pass.
    Agree that you can't be over prepared for this test.
    Unless someone has 6 hours and $600 to throw away.

I would really like to know what the actual pass-fail rate is .
    ISC doesn't release that info but I've heard it's around 70% pass which I find hard to believe.
  • seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations!
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    @Mj. Out of all the CISSP holders I know I only know myself and two others that passed on the first attempt. So I too have a hard time believing that the pass rate is 70%, I'm just guessing of course but I would put it somewhere around 50%.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • skerkmannskerkmann Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Working on mine. Test in early April.. Did you get notified right after the exam that you passed... The information on isc website indicates you may have to wait 4-6 weeks to find out f you passed...Is that right... Not what I thought...
  • Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
    Congrats on passing.

Do you have any feedback on how difficult/challenging the actual exam questions were? I think we all know that no practice questions accurately reflect the actual questions you see in the exam. But evening knowing that, did you find the questions harder than you were expecting? Not asking for details, just your assessment of how challenging they were.
  • Kris_gKris_g Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the exam last month, by the time I was done I was exhausted. The exam is not easy key here is knowledge of the domains and application.
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Right after completing the exam you see a message saying you have completed the exam. The proctor prints out your results. You see a score if you failed and Congratulations if you passed as well as some information on how to complete the certification process.

@SpinLock. I did not find the Exam as challenging as I thought I would. That being said I studied so much because I was scared of being out the 600 bucks, and I had talked to so many people who had failed. I actually met people who were on their third or forth attempt. I think if you can get to the point where you can talk about the domains confidently without questioning yourself then you might be ready. For example I would explain things to my wife (an animal science major with no IT experience, she can barely turn on the computer) and when I felt like I could break it down so she could understand it, I in turn started to feel a lot more confident about it.
  • Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the feedback and advice Robert. My wife would have zero interest in me explaining SABSA vs TOGAF vs Zachman, so I need to find another victim to practice on icon_surprised.gif