Options

Book: MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2 - Thoughts?

ToddMToddM Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster.

Was just browsing Amazon's list of 70-410 exam books when I noticed this book which I hadn't seen before - MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 eBook: Don Poulton, David Camardella: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

The single review there is completely useless (and I couldn't find any others elsewhere) and I was wondering had anyone here read this book or know if it might be worth checking out?

I've just today finished watching all the ITProTV videos on the 70-410 exam and am considering picking up a book, leaning towards the "Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server® 2012 R2" - I've read some complaints about the original exam ref for this book but also heard the updated one was pretty good with much less errors, does this sound accurate?

Comments

• Options
    TeXJTeXJ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sub'd awaiting comments
  • Options
    PunctuationMarkPunctuationMark Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Safari Books Online subscription through work which gives me access to both books mentioned, the Pearson guide from Poulton and the MS Press Training Guide from Tulloch.

The format is similar -- each chapter is devoted to a sub-objective on the exam. The Pearson book (in the OP's post) is 350+ pages thicker than the MS Press Guide, so there's more information in each chapter. As I flip through each, all I can think is, the Pearson guide looks like the MS guide, except thicker.

There are questions in both books for each chapter. In the MS Press Guide it's a few questions at the end. In the Pearson guide there's a "Do you know this already?" quiz at the beginning that can serve the same purpose, plus a list at the end of the key terms to define and the tables of info listed in the chapter.

On Amazon, The MS Press guide is 700 pages and $37. The Pearson book is 1050 pages, and only $32. I can't see a reason to get the MS Press guide when the layout is similar between the two.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mastering Server 2012 book is a very good book but man it's a very large one. I know while studying for the 70-410 exam there's a lot of info you need to read in this book plus extra. I'm okay with it because you never know when it might come up.

I have both ebook and hard copy of it.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read some reviews and this looks good, the one kriscamaro68 mention

Training Guide Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA) (Microsoft Press Training Guide)
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Did you ever buy the book ? If you did how was it?

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Well I pulled the trigger and bought MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: installing and configuring Windows server 2012 R2 by Don Poulton/ David Camardella. So far the book is good ... Like the way it started just starting but I will keep you guys updated.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please update when you can, I will also be looking for a good book in the near future
  • Options
    Boxer77Boxer77 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought it and would highly recommend it.